Chapter Seventeen

Torn, Alanna had no choice but to sit through the Potions lesson with Tiffany whispering things in her ear the whole time.

"Don't look now, but he's staring at you."

"He looks irritated."

"I think he's getting James and Sirius to talk to you after this class finishes."

Alanna had finally had enough of Tiffany's blabber. She launched upwards from her seat, scraping it against the floor. The other Ravenclaws and Gryffindors looked up at her. Alanna wasn't happy; she had a highly irritated look on her face.

"Professor, I'm not feeling well," Alanna lied quickly. "Can I please go to the hospital wing?"

Professor Gurtie allowed Alanna to leave. Tiffany offered to go with her to the hospital wing, but Alanna declined as politely as possible. She hurried out of the classroom.

In truth, Alanna was feeling slightly dizzy. But she knew it was just because of Remus. What on earth was she supposed to do? She could always take Tiffany's advice and just flat out tell him that she didn't know where they stood, or she could either say she didn't like him, or did.

Conflicted, Alanna seated herself in a window seat. She stared out at the Hogwarts grounds, the Black Lake below her. She sighed, blowing strands of hair from her face, before she heard footsteps.

Glancing up as the footsteps grew nearer, Alanna spotted Professor McGonagall walking past. She didn't seem to see the girl until the last second, and she did a double take.

"Miss Harpshire, what are you doing out of class?" the professor asked her. Alanna quickly stood up.

"I-I was just headed to the hospital wing."

McGonagall raised her eyebrows. "Is that so?"

"Yes, Professor," Alanna said, nodding her head vigorously. "Madam Pomfrey told me that if I experienced any headaches, dizziness or nausea that I was to see her immediately."

"Ah, yes," McGonagall said, nodding approvingly. "Right. Well, you know where the infirmary is. I trust that your legs do too. Off you go."

Alanna nodded and started heading towards the hospital wing again. As soon as she rounded the corner and McGonagall was out of sighht, she sighed. She leaned against the brick wall, holding her head in her hands.

And, for the first time in a while, she cried.

*

As the bell rang signalling the end of the class, Remus frowned. Alanna hadn't returned from the hospital wing. He was beginning to think that she had perhaps fallen into another one of her special comas.

He saw Tiffany gathering her friend's books with a frown on her face. She was obviously thinking the same thing.

"Hey," Remus called to her. He shoved all of his books into his bag and left James, Sirius and Peter behind to talk to Tiffany. He headed over and helped her pack away Alanna's belongings.

"So you like her, huh?"

Remus' face tinged pink. "She told you?"

Tiffany rolled her eyes. "Well, obviously. I mean, I expected her to tell me sooner than today, but good things come in time."

Remus stayed silent as he held Alanna's bag.

"So are you going after her or what?" Tiffany asked him finally. Remus' head snapped up.

"What?"

Tiffany sighed. "You're hopeless, Lupin. Don't give up now! Not when you're so close!"

"How close am I now?" Remus asked. Tiffany held her thumb and forefinger a few centimetres apart.

"This close, Lupin. You're this close." She smiled softly. "Go get her."

Remus smiled, suddenly filled with confidence. If Tiffany believed in him, and James, Sirius and Peter believed in him, why didn't he believe in himself?

*

Alanna continued to cry as she leaned against the brick wall. She heard the bell ring, signalling the end of class, and wiped her eyes hurriedly before anybody saw her. She began heading back down to the dungeons, hoping and praying that Remus and Tiffany had already left so she could get her belongings in peace.

But luck just didn't seem to be on Alanna's side as she saw Remus heading in her direction. He had her bag in his hand and his gaze was locked on her. She avoided his gaze until her was right in front of her. She looked up into his warm brown eyes then, and saw a spark of something in them that she'd never seen before.

Suddenly, staring into Alanna's blue eyes, Remus didn't feel so confident. The feeling dwindled before the spark that had ignited inside him went out completely. He cleared his throat, breaking Alanna's gaze, and handed her her bag quickly.

"I, uh ... I got your bag."

"I can see that," Alanna mumbled. "Thanks." She took her bag from him, their hands brushing slightly. Remus awkwardly stepped away from her as students began filling the corridor around them.

"Do you wanna get out of here?" Alanna blurted out unthinkingly. "We don't have anymore classes, and you have to leave really soon ..."

Remus' mind whirled; he had to leave in less than an hour. He nodded meekly, unable to speak. He didn't want to leave Hogwarts just yet. He didn't want to leave Alanna just yet.

As the two headed outside, they were greeted by the chilly air of December. They merely walked in awkward silence until they reached the Quidditch pitch. Remus stopped walking and grabbed Alanna's arm, turning her to face him.

"So?" he asked. Alanna frowned.

"I-I don't know, Remus," she sighed finally. "I really don't know how I feel."

Remus frowned. "You don't?"

Alanna bit her lip, looking at the snow covered ground, and shook her head. "Not yet."

Remus' lips tugged at the corner when he heard those words. Not yet. There was still a chance.

"Do you know if it would ever work?" he asked her quietly, still holding onto her arm. Alanna shrugged, still looking at the snow on the ground.

"Do I have a chance?" Remus whispered. Alanna finally met his gaze, and almost saw the same spark as before. Before she knew what she was doing, Alanna pushed herself up onto her tiptoes and pressed her lips to his.