Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I stood in the doorway of the kitchen, watching with my arms folded as the new beta and his mate greeted Dominic. "I didn't know your mate was coming," Dominic said, glancing sideways at me, warily. "Our meeting was just scheduled for you and I, Jeff. No offense, of course, Nina."

"I brought her last minute. Thought our mates could meet and go shopping or something," Jeff explained, following Dominic's gaze. "Hello, Luna, you're looking nice today."

"Thanks," I said dryly.

Nina saw me and beamed. She had ombré hair that went from black to a maple brown color, and it bounced as she strolled towards me. "Caroline, I've heard so much about you! It's a pleasure to meet. I can't wait to have some girl talk and-"

I scoffed, cutting her off with a roll of my eyes. Her face fell slightly, but she was still holding it together when I slipped past her towards the stairs. "I'll be in my room," I told Dominic as I passed him. He gave me a pleading look, but didn't say anything. He had no right to, not when he promised me that I wouldn't be meeting her.

Maybe I was being bitter and cruel. But I don't do "girl talk" or shopping. I'd kept up hope that she wasn't like the girls in my old pack, but it was obvious she was.

"Nina, don't take that to heart. My last beta and his mate were really close to her, so she's struggling with the shift. Give her some time, please."

"Do you mean the-" And then she used the f-word for homosexual men. Towards Alfie and Andrew. Dominic went silent, but I could feel the air around us become thick with tension. Dominic could hold himself together at a time like this, but no one said something like that to anyone, let alone my best friend.

I ripped back down the stairs and lunged after her. "What the hell did you just say?!" I hissed.

Dominic wrapped his arms around my stomach, keeping me from attacking the stupid whore. "Caroline, please!" He growled.

"She called him that filthy word!"

Nina looked absolutely terrified as I struggled in Dominic's grip, before she straightened herself up. She primped her hair and lifted her chin into the air, like the rotten little brat she is. "Let her go. I can take a human. I was one of the best fighters in our pack."

He hesitated, knowing full well what I was capable of. I too had been a good fighter. I wasn't like some humans."I don't think you understand-"

"No. Release her. I'll detain her," Nina said.

Dominic slowly let me go and I grinned wickedly. Nina raised one eyebrow at me, putting up a defensive and strong front. But I saw the flicker of uncertainty behind her eyes. She didn't know what I would do, which was exactly how I liked it. I took one fake swing at her, trying to gauge how she guarded herself. Her arms were quick, coming right up to block her face, but her stance was weak and imbalanced. Her legs were the weakest link in her body.

Then I had her pinned to the floor.

Needless to say, the meeting never happened. I didn't really hurt the chick, I just pinned her down easily and defended myself from her swings. Which wasn't that hard. Dominic was holding back a proud grin as he and the new beta separated the two of us.

"You might not agree with my previous beta's lifestyle, but you are going to respect it and keep your mouth shut. Am I understood?" Dominic claimed. "And I'd advise you not to challenge my mate in a fight."

Nina was visibly steaming, her fists clenched as she fought a shift. "It wouldn't be as easy of a fight if I were in my wolf form," she growled. Jeff was smoothing her hair behind her ears, whispering something to her.