Chapter Eighteen

Alanna pulled away from Remus, immediately regretting what she'd done.

"I-I'm sorry," she apologised quickly. "I didn't mean to--"

She was caught off guard when Remus pulled her back in for another kiss. She had no idea what to think. Was this right or wrong? What would this mean for their friendship? Would everybody else approve? Did it matter if they approved of not?

A sudden though crossed Alanna's mind which made her pull away again. Remus bit his lip sheepishly, a smile ghosting across his lips.

"Sorry, that was probably ..."

Both first-years were left in a stunned silence at each others' actions. Remus was astonished that she even felt that way for him, considering she had made it obvious that she didn't quite know how she felt yet. Alanna was just stunned at the intensity of the kiss.

"Remus, I ... I think we're a bit too young for ... this," Alanna said quietly. Remus' eyes widened as he remembered his own age. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Right, yeah ..." he trailed off. "Probably."

Alanna nodded and bit her lip to keep herself from laughing nervously at the awkward situation they were in. Remus was leaving in less than an hour and they had just shared one hell of a kiss. This was going to be an interesting story to tell her sisters.

Remus cleared his throat after a few minutes.

"So you're leaving soon," Alanna said with a nod. Remus sighed.

"Yeah."

"No doubt James and Sirius are going to tease me about this," Alanna sighed.

Remus' eyes immediately widened, which made Alanna backtrack.

"I-I won't tell them, if you don't want me to," she said quickly. "It can be a secret."

Remus nodded vigorously. "Please. Just for now. I don't want to have the 'talk' from my dad just yet."

Alanna giggled. "Yeah, me either. Let's just keep this a secret."

Remus nodded. "Agreed."

Alanna frowned for a moment. "Can I tell my sisters?" she asked abruptly. Remus raised a brow questioningly. "It's just, I tell Emily pretty much everything and Jo and Mel should know too. We're not going to be able to hide it forever, might as well tell them now."

"Now?" Remus reiterated. "You want to tell them now?"

Alanna shrugged. "I can't not tell somebody. Tiffany will tell the whole world, so she's out of the picture. I can't tell any of the boys, because who knows what they'll say about us then. I'm not telling my parents unless I have a death wish ... So that leaves Joanna, Melanie and Emily."

Remus rubbed his face. "Okay. Sure. I don't mind."

"You don't?"

"No."

Alanna narrowed her eyes. "Really?"

Remus sighed. "I was taught from a really young age that I had to be at least fourteen before I kissed a girl. And I just broke that rule entirely."

Alanna shrugged. "My parents had their first kiss when they were twelve. It's only a year difference. What's the big deal?"

Remus made a face.

"Alright, I'll keep it to myself. I won't tell anyone."

"Okay," Remus agreed. "No telling anybody about ... this."

"Agreed. Now you should probably head back up to the castle so you can get your trunk. You're getting picked up from Hogsmeade, aren't you? Your dad's coming to get you?"

Remus nodded. "Um, yeah, he is."

Alanna nodded. The awkward tension had somewhat lessened now that the two had come to an agreement.

"Right. Back to the castle we go."

* * *

Alanna couldn't sleep that night, but the next morning, she was up bright and early to have a shower and get ready for classes. Tiffany was up with her and noticed the girl's surprising change in demeanor as Alanna hummed a catchy tune to herself as she got ready for the day.

"Are you okay?" Tiffany asked as Alanna towel-dried her hair. "Feeling sick?" She walked over to her friend and pressed the back of her hand lightly to her forehead. Alanna frowned.

"I'm feeling okay. Why do you ask?"

Tiffany shrugged. "I just assumed you were sick because I know for one hundred percent that you of all people are not a morning person, yet here you are singing to yourself while you had barely any sleep last night." Tiffany took a deep breath. "That was a long sentence."

"Is it a crime to be in a good mood once in a while?" Alanna said.

"No," Tiffany said. "But it's weird. Especially for you. You've been a mess lately what with Remus and all -- Wait a second."

It seemed Tiffany had finally caught on as she gave Alanna a sly grin.

"Something happened between you two, didn't it?" she asked, grinning.

"What makes you say that?" Alanna asked, struggling to keep her calm composure. Her heart was beating erratically inside her chest as she knew Tiffany was going to figure it out on her own.

"Al, you smiled when I said his name. Something definitely happened, and I bet I know what it was."

Alanna let out a pitiful squeak.

"HA! You kissed!" Tiffany said, jumping up on her bed and pointing an accusing finger at her friend. "You two kissed! So what was it like? Was it good? Is Remus an amazing kisser or a horrible kisser? Did you--"

"Whoa, Tiffany, calm down!" Alanna shrieked. "We did not kiss!" she lied easily.

Tiffany's face fell. "Wh-what? But I was so sure ..."

"Check your instincts next time, Tiff. We did not kiss. We're on good terms now, yes, but kissing is a little over the top."

"Aww," Tiffany said, pouting. "But I made a bet with Brooke."

"You what?" Alanna asked in a demanding tone. "You made a bet on mine and Remus' relationship?"

Tiffany shrugged. "Guilty."

Alanna paused, narrowing her eyes at her friend. "What did you bet?"

"It was only two Galleons on whether you would kiss or not."

"What did you say?" Alanna asked suspiciously.

Tiffany bit her lip. "That you wouldn't kiss, but you would figure something out to be happier."

Alanna glared at Tiffany.

"Hey, I was right! Give me some credit here!"

Alanna sighed. "Alright, I'll let you off."

Tiffany pumped her fist in the air.

"But I get half of the profit," Alanna slipped in.

"And there's the catch."