False Hope

Samantha

"I'm glad you came, Sam." Jacob said over the loud music. Or at least that's what I thought he said.

I still couldn't believe he had managed to convince me to go to this party. But Jacob kept insisting, telling me it would be fun and that we could finally get to know each other better. I'd felt bad for that night at the bonfire when I just hid behind those rocks all night. Until Alex came along, of course. So I said maybe I would go for a while.

I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

"Yeah, me too." That was a lie. Nobody could tell how uncomfortable I was, huddled in a corner, cowering. All the music and alcohol and smoke dancing around me made me feel overwhelmed and lightheaded.

But Jacob had been by my side the whole time, he didn't leave me like Cami did. I didn't really have to socialize, they were all too distracted with other things, I was relieved. So I swallowed my uncomfortableness and reminded myself to just try to be normal this once.

I lay on my bed, twirling a strand of dark hair around as I lay sleepless on the cold bed. I let myself think about tonight, using it as a distraction from all the lucid memories that usually fill my mind.

Aside from my heart pounding each time someone would get close to talk to me or ask me something, I didn't have a horrible time there. But mostly, it was because of Jacob. He made me smile and he talked to me and made me feel like I was worth talking to. As if I were someone remotely interesting enough for the sweetest boxer I've met.

But then it all had gotten a little too much for me. I was tired and worn down from all the smiles and attempts at small talk with some of his friends. I told him I needed to leave. He offered me a ride home before I had a chance to finish my sentence.

Could this new place be my salvation?

***

I lay on the couch in the living room, a bag of fresh popcorn in my hands. The buttery scent made my stomach growl and I devoted myself to it, handfuls and handfuls of it.

The documentary playing on the tv wasn't all that interesting, but I was too lazy to get the control which was all the way on the other side of the sofa. But as long as I had food in my hands, I couldn't bring myself to care what I was watching.

I heard steps coming from upstairs, and a few seconds later my mom hurried down the stairs, dressed impeccably in black and white. She looked professional and different, makeup highlighting her high cheekbones, thin lips and brown eyes.

I quickly chewed through the handful of popcorn I'd thrown in my mouth before she could leave.

"Where are you going all dressed up?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"I'm meeting a client today." She starts and gathers some folders and papers.

"Your job has a lot irregular hours, mom." I noted and put another popcorn in my mouth.

"I know, sweetie. But someone's got to pay the bills around here." She joked while glancing at herself in the mirror to make sure everything was in place. "By the way, your father wanted to talk to you. Call him back when you can, alright?"

I felt my heart beat a little faster, I swallowed and stared wide-eyed at her. "He called?"

She smiled at me warmly. "Yeah, he did. Maybe he'll come by soon." I kept looking at her, expecting her to tell me it was a joke. But when she didn't, I tried to contain the smile that threatened to spread across my face.