Chapter 8.2

Struggling to catch my breath, I fought my way to my feet as the jungle fell silent. I turned to see not only John watching me, but most of the village warriors as well. I dismissed Kastem, not wanting to take any chances of losing control.

"So that just happened." John's eyes were wide. I couldn't tell if it was fear or awe.

Cheers erupted from the men and women behind him as they rushed forward to surround me. Soun clapped me hard on the back, shaking my whole frame and bringing to my attention a whole set of bruises that I hadn't realized I'd gained.

"Well done," he exclaimed, his excitement almost overbearing. I managed a smile in response.

John let the impromptu celebration engulf me, but I felt his eyes trailing us as the group began to pull me back into the covering of the woods. I managed to free myself from the singing and cheering group as they started towards their village. Waiting, I brought up the rear, not wanting to be the center of attention.

"You're really a hero to them," John said, coming to walk beside me.

I shrugged, "I'm not a hero. I'm just doing what my family has always done, what Poe has trained me to do. Besides, I'd have never been able to do it without your help."

He was quiet for a time, studying his feet as we followed the others. "So this is what the other summoners did? You came here and took the beasts that threatened these people?"

"That's what I've been told. I haven't really had the chance to speak with any other summoners." I couldn't keep the bitterness out of my voice.

"I think," John started slowly, "there's been some misconceptions between Witches and Necromancers. On both sides."

"You think?" I snapped back at him.

He held his hands up. "I'm just saying."

John stuffed his hands into his pockets. "My whole life, I was told stories about how evil Necromancers are. How we have to protect the regular, non-magic community, to be their line of defense. And that meant we had to take the proactive approach." He shook his head, wrinkling his nose. "That's what my dad always said. I never thought much about it. Not until I was sent to be your roommate. There were nights I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking, what if you were a Necromancer? Here was this poor kid from the country who barely knew anything about pop culture, but was super nice. You always put others before yourself."

"What? No I don't-" I tried to protest, but he insisted.

"You were always the first to offer help if someone needed it. Always the first to volunteer in the dorm. It bothered me a lot, actually. Made me question exactly what it was we were supposed to be fighting, Necromancers or our own fear?"

My pace slowed, letting John's question sink in. He was right, I knew it. There were a lot of misconceptions coming to light, making me rethink a lot of my family's beliefs. But was it enough to put aside multiple generations worth of hate and killings? "I ... don't know."

John and I walked in silence for a few minutes before he spoke again. "After I found out about the plants I wanted to leave, but hadn't gathered my courage yet when you showed up." 

I paused, staring at John as he continued past me a few steps. "Found out about the plants?" I repeated.

He stopped and looked at me. "They're poisonous to people like us, people with powers. If you eat it, it'll mess with your mind. You can still feel your power, but you can't reach or use it."

I stared at him. "That's terrible!"

"It's driven some of those they've tested it on mad."

"Why-" I stopped myself. I didn't need to ask why, it was right here between us. The Witches were afraid of Necromancers. If they could get rid of our powers, there wouldn't be a reason to fear us anymore. "That's wrong." I said.