23. Was To Be Killed

A great light burst forth from both Echos' wands. An Ignis loquitur and a basset hound raa out of their wands. The two raced around Credence, protecting him from the spells that the many Aurors were casting to kill him.

The light soon became too much for anyone to bear, the two patronuses were circling so fast that they could barely be seen. Slowly the obscurus changed and shrank, the black mass becoming the familiar sight of the Credence and the patronuses dispersed as the aurors stopped casting spells.

Myra rushed up to shield Credence herself from the aurors, "Are you alright?"

The obscurial shakily nodded, and the blonde noted that he had a white-knuckled grip on his wand. Myra helped him to his feet narrowing her eyes at Graves, who had stepped forward as if to talk to Credence himself.

"Miss Kegley," Madam Piquery began, "That obscurial was to be killed on my orders."

Credence whimpered from where he stood next to her, "With all respect Madam President, you ordered them to kill a kid."

"He is responsible for the death of a no-maj," the witch narrowed her eyes, "He risked the exposure of our community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws-"

Graves laughed bitterly, "A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter! A law that demands that we conceal our true nature! A law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discovery! I ask you, Madam President-" the wizard's eyes flashed to everyone present, "-I ask all of you- who does this law protect? Us?" he gestured vaguely to the no-majs above their heads, "Or them? I refuse to bow down any longer."

Graves walked away from the aurors, and Madam Piquery didn't seem very pleased with what he'd said, "Aurors, I'd like you to relieve Mr. Graves of his wand and escort him back to-"

As the wizard moved down the platform, a wall of white light suddenly appeared in front of him, blocking his path. He paused for a moment- a sneer of derision and irritation crossing his face. He turned.

Graves began striding back along the platform, firing spells at both groups of aurors facing him. Myra ushered Credence to the wall of the station. Spells were flying at all angles, but Graves parried them all. Several aurors were sent flying and the wizard appeared to be winning...

From beside her, Newt pulled out the cocoon from his pocket and released it at Graves. A swooping evil soared around him, shielding everyone from the wizards spells and giving Newt time to raise his wand.

Myra got the sense that her Echo had been holding out on using the spell that he was about to release on Graves. His wand slashed through the air and out flew a crackling rope of supernatural light that wrapped itself around Graves like a whip. The spell's victim tried to hold it off as it tightened, but still, he staggered and struggled, falling to his knees and dropping his wand.

"Accio," the blonde muttered, the man's wand flying into her hand.

Graves looked at them, hatred in his eyes.

Newt raised his wand once again, "Revelio."

Graves began to transform. His hair turning blond and his eyes, blue. He was the man on the posters, Grindlewald.

Madam Piquery moved toward him and Grindlewald sneered, "Do you think you can hold me?"

"We'll do our best, Mr. Grindelwald," the witch herself seemed quite pleased, having the infamous wizard before her.

Grindlewald stared intently at Madam Piquery, his expression of disgust turning into a small, derisory smile. He was forced to his feet by two aurors, who moved him toward the entrance of the subway.

As the wizard reached the three of them, he paused- both smiling and sneering, "Will we die, just a little?"

He was led away, up and out of the subway. Myra watched, seeing out of the corner of her eye the bemused expression on her Echo's face.

Oh my goodness, guys. I finished writing Echos yesterday... I'm not sure how I feel about that... On one hand I'll get to writing and publishing Manhattan and Colors (my two MCU soulmate fics), which should be getting published sometime after I finish posting this book. However, I won't be able to write as much Newra (I will be posting One-Shots every once in a while, though). So, overall, I'm sad that I've finished with this, but happy to be writing something new and challenging. I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend, and the next chapter will be up on Monday.
~ Aria