25. Just Like Waking Up

Jacob led the rest of them up the steps of the subway, Queenie following closely behind him, while Myra stayed between Newt and Credence. Rain was still falling heavily, the streets almost empty, but for a few hardworking aurors.

When the no-maj reached the top of the steps where he stood, gazing out into the rain. Queenie reached out and grabbed his coat as if she was willing him not to move out into the street.

Jacob turned to her, "Hey. Hey, this is for the best," he looked at all of their saddened faces, "Yeah- I was- I was never even supposed to be here."

Jacob looked to be fighting tears as Queenie gazed up at him, her face full of distress, "I was never supposed to know any of this. Everybody knows Newt only kept me around because- hey- Newt, why did you keep me around?"

"Because I like you," Newt didn't seem like he enjoyed being that explicit, "Because you're my friend and I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob."

"You've been a good friend to all of us," Myra added.

Their responses brought even more tears to the no-maj's eyes, "Oh!"

Queenie moved forward up the stairs toward Jacob, standing close to him, "I'll come with you. We'll go somewhere- we'll go anywhere- see, I ain't never gonna find anyone like-"

"There's loads like me," he said bravely.

"No... No..." the blonde denied, "There's only one like you."

Everything was silent for a moment until Jacob spoke again, "I gotta go."

He turned from them and raised his hands up to his face, Myra assumed that he was wiping his eyes. Her Echo started toward their friend,

"JACOB!"

The man turned back to them for a moment, attempting to smile, "It's okay... It's okay... It's okay. It's just like waking up, right?"

Myra gave a weak smile back, encouraging, trying to soothe the situation. He looked as their faces as he moved, walking backward into the rain. He turned his face to the sky, arms out, he allowed the water to wash over him completely.

Queenie created a magical umbrella with her wand and stepped out toward Jacob. She moved in close, tenderly stroking his face before closing her eyes and bending in to kiss him.

Myra looked away, not wanting to intrude on what was possibly their last moment together. Suddenly, there was the sound of apparation, and when the witch looked up, Queenie had apparated away, leaving Jacob standing, arms out, longingly embracing no one. One by one, the rest of them disapparated onto a nearby rooftop, Myra going last, taking Credence with her.

Myra took a hold of Newt's hand, watching Jacob's face from afar as he fully 'woke up', blank faced and confused. It took a few seconds, but he finally moved off through the street as a lone figure.

The blonde rested her head on her Echo's shoulder as he wrapped an arm around her, all five of them standing silent in the rain.

This scene almost made me cry. It was mostly a mix of the fact that this is the last chapter, the actual content, and that I was listening to the song above, which was really sad. But, anyway, there is still the epilogue left, and that's on a much happier note. I hope you all have a great weekend, and I'll see you on Monday.
~ Aria