Chapter 13: Magic

Regina walked alongside her father and Alice as they made their way to the front of the castle. It had been decided that Alice would accompany the group as well. Though originally Regina had declined such need, wanting Alice to stay with her family, the young woman had insisted to come along, stating that she could provide a means to be an extra transport, a messenger, or even just another body, providing anything else their journey may require. As Alice went on to prove where she could be of use, Regina had realized how much having Alice with her would benefit their excursion. Silently, Regina wished it could have been Emma, but she knew that her Knight was better left in the castle in order to remove the King's watchful eye.

Regina was dressed in a riding outfit suitable for the cold weather outside, her hair tied in a loose braid. Feeling comfortable in the attire, she thought again about how much she preferred clothing that didn't constrain her the way the dresses did. If she could have it her way, she would always dress in this manner.

"Alice," Regina spoke as they arrived at the front doors of the castle. "Please, go and find Neal, tell him of your coming with us, and he'll be able to fetch you a horse. I'd like to take a moment to speak with my father."

"Of course, your majesty," Alice responded, bowing quickly and making her way out the servant's door to see to Regina's requests. As soon as she had gone, Regina turned to Henry.

"I already know what you're going to say, Regina," Henry started, silencing Regina from the words she wanted to speak. "I'll do everything I can to make sure she's safe," he continued, a gentle smile crossing his face. Regina's gaze went soft, and she looked at her father with such appreciation that Henry felt it flow through him immediately. "Don't worry about her, she's strong," Henry said with a laugh. "She can handle herself, and she'll have us. So don't you worry, Emma will be just fine."

"Thank you, Daddy," Regina replied. "But there will never be a day that I won't worry about her," she continued, feeling the sadness of leaving Emma behind seep into her skin again. She dropped her gaze from her father, until Henry lifted her chin to capture her eyes again.

"You know what I thought of immediately up in that tower? What I thought of right after Arthur explained how the spell would work?" Regina shook her head, to which Henry smiled. "I thought that this could be the way. This...plan...could be how you find a way to tell Emma how you feel, child."

"Daddy, I already told you, I'm not goin—"

"Regina," Henry interrupted. "Before you tell me all the reasons you don't think you should tell her how you feel, did you ever take a moment to think about the possibility that...maybe Emma feels the same way about you?" Regina's eyes immediately went wide at her father's words, her brows knitting together at the possibility of what he had just said.

Henry stared at his daughter as he watched the cogs turn in her brain, watching her consider that her affections could be returned. "Think about it, Regina. Do yourself a favor and think about the time you spend with her, the way she behaves, the gestures she makes. Take the time apart to analyze what you see in her eyes when you are with her."

"But she only does those things because it's in her job," Regina commented, but even Henry heard the uncertainty in her voice.

"Just...think about it." Regina looked up at her father and captured his gaze, thoroughly analyzing his stare. But Henry only looked back at her with a gentle expression, holding her gaze with the love and warmth he felt flow through him as he thought of the possibility that Regina could have the love she had always deserved.

Regina let her gaze drop from Henry's as her thoughts continued. Henry's hope began to rise as he thought of what might happen if this would work. But his good feelings were suddenly cut short as he heard a voice approach them from behind.