Letters From Home

“So, are you intending to do as Dumbledore said?” he asked in a businesslike manner. He confuses the heck out of me the way his moods change so rapidly. My father could be that way at times, and now I could almost feel bad for my mother -- almost. I nodded.

       “Why? Considering trying to follow me?” I asked wiggling my eyebrows. I wasn’t serious, and my tone made that obvious. That didn’t stop Severus’s demeanor from darkening.

       “Don’t be lewd,” he barked drinking deeply from his glass.

       “You know I wasn’t serious,” I said softly.

       “That is beside the point,” he said trying to stay calm as he sat down at his little kitchen table. “You will tell me what you discover.” He took another drink.

       “I figured I would. Is Brandy all you drink?” I asked changing the subject. I was suddenly curious as I had seen him drink Brandy before. Severus grunted.

       “Mostly. I have a bit of Tequila, but I save that for special occasions,” he said as if Brandy was a light beer. My mouth fell open a bit.

       “So Brandy is the lightest liquor you drink?” I asked incredulously. He shot me a wicked smirk over the top of his glass before polishing it off with a shrug.

       “It beats the firewhiskey they have in the staff room.”

       “Wow, my potions professor is an alcoholic,” I mused aloud. He glowered at me.

       “Not really, but I have found the burn is quite relaxing when I’m stressed.” I must really stress him out then.  He refilled his glass an eighth of the way.

       “Have you ever tried it?” he asked holding the glass out to me. I walked over and took it from him shaking my head no. I took a sip of the drink and made an awful face. I nearly choked as the burning liquid hit my throat.

       “How do you drink that?” I spat and thrust the glass at him. He took it with a haughty smirk. 

       “One swallow at a time,” he said smarmilly. His deep voice held amusement. I smacked his chest hard with my palm, once again making him look completely dumbfounded.

       “You ass!” I yelled with a small laugh. “You knew I wouldn’t like it!” I accused. I crossed my arms over my chest sassily and glowered at him. He smirked, as he is famous for doing.

       “Of course I knew you wouldn’t like it. Do you really think I would give a student alcohol that they might be tempted to sneak more of?” he downed the little bit I hadn’t drank in one small gulp. I was surprised he hadn't given me detention for calling him an ass.

       “I have many things on my mind; more than most people ever have. If enjoying a glass or two of Brandy or Tequila makes me a bad person -- well it’s certainly not the worst I’ve done,” I detected a hint of regret in his voice at the end.

       “I wish you’d tell me so I could help,” I prodded gently. His head was bowed slightly, and he looked up at me through his hair.

       “I can’t, and that won’t change...Now I believe would be a good time for you to go see what your deal with the Merqueen has done to you,” he said dismissively. I frowned but nodded regardless.

       “Meet me in my classroom when you’ve finished. You still have detention,” he finished speaking and sat the glass on the table. I walked up to him, and before he could respond, I hugged him tightly. He didn’t return the favor, but he only tensed for a moment.