Chapter 4 (Haunting)

Chapter 4

Haunting

*Arabella*

            The day grows late quickly. After spending most of the day at the beach, we come home and I jump straight into the shower. After, I search through my closet and settle on a backless black halter dress. I slip it on, letting it fall just above my knees and rush into the bathroom to straighten my hair and apply my makeup, a subtle smokey eye and dark red lipstick.

            I slip on a pair of black heels and grab my clutch before rushing out the room. Derek sits on the couch playing a video game, a mask of concentration on his face.

            "You sure you don't want to come?" I ask, walking up behind him and sliding my hands along his shoulders to wrap my arms around his neck. "Elliot and Johanna would love to have you there."

            "You go have fun with your friends." He says as he pauses his game and sets the controller aside. He turns his body to face at me. "I'll be here waiting when you get back."

            "Alright." I sigh. I lean down to give him a quick kiss on his cheek and smile at the red mark left behind. I wipe it away quickly before saying goodbye and slipping out the door.

            I arrive at the bar in fifteen minutes. It's crowded with most of the parking spaces taken. When I step through the doors, the pungent smell of alcohol hits my nose causing me to already feel a bit queasy. It's loud, with people scattered around as they try to talk over the music. Most of the tables are taken and only a few stools remain empty at the bar.

            I'm just barely able to see two hands as they shoot up into the air. Elliot and Jo smile brightly as they wave me over. I make my way through the crowd and join my friends at the bar. Johanna wears dark jeans with a white shirt and black blazer, her bright red heels the focus statement of her outfit. Her long thick brown hair falls loosely in waves across her shoulders. Elliot, as usual, wears something bright and eye catching. Turquoise pants and a white button up with tiny black sailboats covering it, his light brown shoes tying it all together. He's switched his glasses out for contact lenses, revealing his ocean blue eyes. I give them each a tight hug and as I take the empty seat beside Elliot, he slides a martini towards me.

            "Thanks." I say as I take a sip. The alcohol burns my throat as it goes down and warms my insides. I frown for a moment as the sensation subsides and take another sip, the burning not as bad. "Well let me see, let me see." I say impatiently as I search for the ring. He holds up his hand and I smile. A thick, white gold band with a string of diamonds woven into it, the diamond in the center of them all slightly bigger than the rest. "It's beautiful El." I smile up at him. "Wow, I can't believe you're really engaged. This is amazing."

            "I vote for a June wedding." Jo says. "Outdoors, maybe on a beach."

            "Absolutely not!" Elliot says. "Sand will get everywhere, it'll be windy, and what if it rains? It's going to be indoors. The reception will be inside a large ball room. The colors will be tiffany blue and silver. Kyle and I will be in white tuxes with tiffany blue accents. You two will wear cute as hell bridesmaid dresses because you're my best friends and we have to look great together. There will be approximately one hundred guests to keep it small, and a large buttercream cake."

            "Wait." I stop him. "You've planned all of this within a few hours?"

            "Of course." He shrugs. "I always know what I want."

            "And what about what Kyle wants?"

            "Well, he usually agrees with what I want, so I think he'll be okay with everything. Speaking of boyfriends, how's yours? Is he adjusting to the outside world okay?"