Chapter 58

There was slight error in the last chapter. Error in my part which I had quickly edited. Those who noticed will see in this chapter what I meant.

--------------

In the tranquillity of the hospital, they were completely alone after months of separation. Daud's eyes were learning how striking she looked in the new Islamic attire. Last time they met he was consumed with anger to fully appreciate its beauty. She was a new woman now. There was an aura of confidence in her that he had never seen before. Was it his imagination but the splendour of the black hijab emphasized her gorgeousness more than he remembered.

Susan's eyes followed at all the different plasters and bandages on his body. She wasn't ready to come today. Her heart had overruled her mind. The fact he had nearly escaped death and was immensely injured had led her to come here even though she was well aware it wasn't a good idea. In fact, it was a very bad idea.

Then she remembered Prophet (Peace be upon Him) saying. "Every Muslim has five rights over another Muslim (i.e., he has to perform five duties for another Muslim): to return the greetings, to visit the sick, to accompany funeral processions, to accept an invitation, to respond to the sneezer [i.e., to say: 'Yarhamuk-Allah (may Allah bestow His Mercy on you),' when the sneezer praises Allah]."

He wasn't just another Muslim but he was the father of her son. She couldn't believe what he went through. Her heart wasn't accepting but now as her eyes witnessed, she was colossally dejected. The flame of revenge that had been burning within him had finally consumed him entirely. Today, he lay as a man with no strength to harm others rather he was in need of others.

"I brought you pears," she whispered, taking out the 1kg pears packet from her plastic shopping bag and placing it on the side table beside his bed.

The blue eyes that had been closely watching her, grew large in astonishment. A long time ago memory flooded back whenever he visited her when Yousef was a baby, he would always eat a pear or two that were on the fruit bowl at the kitchen table. The fact she noticed about his preference shook him internally. He had wronged this woman in every possible way but she never failed to be compassionate towards him.

His throat constricted with unnamed emotions. He may be in pain physically with his limbs badly injured but the pain in his heart was delirious.

She stepped back, "I just came to see you. Get well soon." she said in a soft tone.

He panicked and before he could stop himself he said hoarsely, "Don't go."

Lines formed on her smooth ivory forehead as her light brown perfectly arched eyebrows drew together.

He opened his mouth to speak. He could see she was waiting. But nothing came out.

He swallowed hard and then rasped, "I ... I .."

Still, he couldn't. He clenched his eyes shut. Wrinkles forming around his eyes. "Susan please."

It was a plea.

She heard it all. But remained still in her stance. Gazing at the man who was once unapproachable. Today, he was at his weakest.

"I have made grave mistakes in my life. I never meant to hurt you. But the circumstances led me to take wrong and rash decisions." His eyes were still shut and head dipped lower.

His eyelids lifted. Twin tears escaped his ocean deep eyes that expressed of his agony and loneliness. His eyes held hers. "I am ashamed of what I did to you. I ... I ..."

And then he said the words he never thought he would ever say, "Forgive me."

Words she had been desperate to hear.