Chapter 30

Hunter

I had a headache even before I arrived at the party. The throbbing pain had started a few hours ago, or more precisely: when I had gotten a call from Victoria. Her instructions had been short and clear: Come to the party at Amy's. I'll be waiting for you in her room. I think you can guess what will happen if you don't follow my orders.

Of course I knew what the consequences would be; she'd tell Jules' parents that we had been together, regardless of whether it was true or not. The thought of that and what would happen to Jules was enough to make me leave the house at exactly nine in the evening, even though there were about thirty things I would have rather done.

The air outside was mild and the sun was still peeking through some houses at the end of the road, casting long shadows onto the pavement. The nights were still harsh and icy, but spring was finally in full swing, chasing the winter and its grim cold away during the day.

Despite the friendly weather, I was feeling bitter and downcast. I knew what Victoria wanted, and I knew that I would give it to her if it was to protect Jules.

The drive to Amy's house was shorter than I would've liked, and I stepped onto the porch all too soon. The noise that engulfed me the second I stepped through the door was almost deafening, loud enough to drown out my thoughts for at least a moment. People from my year and the ones below started coming up to me me as soon as the door fell shut behind me, their voices blurring together and creating an insignificant buzz.

From the times I'd been here before I knew exactly where Amy's room was, but I wasted some time standing around in the corridor for a minute nevertheless. Finally, taking a steadying breath, I opened the door.

The room behind it was dimly lit by a single lamp next to the invitingly large bed. Of course the fact that it was Victoria who was sprawled on the sheets made it a lot less appealing.

"Hunter," she said with a wide smile, propping herself up on one elbow. I didn't miss the way she pushed her chest out and batted her eyelashes at me, but it had absolutely no effect on me. "I'm so glad you came."

"I can't say the pleasure is all mine," I snorted as I crossed the room.

Victoria only shrugged, seemingly unfazed, and got onto her knees on the bed. Her lips twisted into a smirk while she started to unbutton her blouse. "Oh, don't worry, gorgeous. I'm going to give you some pleasure soon enough."

"You could just leave me alone. I'm sure that'd feel even better," I dead-panned, keeping my eyes fixed on her face even as the last button came undone.

Victoria pulled me onto the bed by hooking a finger into the collar of my shirt, making me sit next to her on the mattress. "Oh, Hunter. You really can't seem to see what's best for you..." She bent forward and reached for me, pulling me closer. "Spoiler alert: it's not Jules."

I reached for her hand and forcefully pried it off me, earning a quiet hiss and a glare in return. Staring back at her, I ground out, "What do you want, Victoria?"

"I want you," she said, inching a little closer until her knees were pressing against mine. In a firmer voice, she added, "And I'm going to have you. Or you're going to watch me ruin your precious Julian's life once and for all and know that it's nobody's fault but yours."

For a few seconds all I could do was blink at her. "You can't be serious."

"Oh?" Her pink lips curled into a sardonic smile. Reaching into the pocket of her jeans, she produced her phone and angled it so I could watch as she selected Jules' family's landline number. "Do you want to bet?"