"Didn't recognize you without your bat."

It's not that you've necessarily been bad at first impressions, but you guess you wouldn't really consider yourself good at them either. And when you tell Vero this story later you'll swear up and down that it wasn't even really your fault this time!

It's your first year of college in Penn State and you're given the opportunity to take your macro-economics exam a day early before being set free for winter break. You decide to do it because then you get to leave a day early and surprise your parents, which you think is a nice sentiment and pat yourself on the back for being a great daughter. You even get the uber yourself when your plane lands.

And that's kind of where it all goes downhill because your parents' cars aren't in the driveway which wouldn't really be an issue, you can wait for them to get home. But as you're putting away the coat you definitely don't need in Miami, you vaguely hear a voice that you know belongs to neither of your parents. At first you just hope you were imagining it but then you kind of panic and then there's adrenaline coursing through you screaming 'INTRUDER'.

So right now you're currently standing in your coat closet and considering a plan of action. Quietly reaching around, you look for the nearest thing to you that would serve as a potential weapon if needed. It's your old softball bat that your dad refuses to get rid of in case you ever want to get back into the swing of things (pun intended).

As silently as you can, you're making your way out the closet (which wasn't as stressful the first time you came out) and past the dining room, hiding behind the wall that separates the room and the kitchen when you hear footsteps.

"C'mon, where'd you leave your collar this time?" You hear a voice mutter and there's absolutely not enough rational thought put into it because your first reaction is that this intruder wants your dog, Dash. And you are just not having any of that.

Rounding the corner to hopefully flank the intruder, you tighten your grip on the bat and raise it just a little in case you need to swing. What you're not expecting is to be met with the backside of what looks to be a girl (can't assume anyone's gender) with long dark wavy hair and a slightly smaller frame than you. It throws you off enough to audibly breathe out 'the fuck?'

That's how the intruder hears you, abruptly spinning around at the noise and undeniably shrieking when eyes land on you.

You would believe it if you found out you gave this girl an actual heart attack, the way she clutches her chest and ends up leaning on the wall to stay standing. Her breathing is heavy and she has to swallow to regain her composure. Finally getting a good look at her, the only thought in your mind is

Oh no.

Because this girl is cute. Like really fucking cute. Full lips, cute button nose, a well proportioned face, the whole nine yards. You would've described her eyes to be a warm brown that you could've stared at for an unhealthy amount of time, but said eyes are currently looking up at you in terror.

(But sometime later that's exactly how you'd describe them.)

"What. The. Fuck?" Brown eyes says through gritted teeth and oh no her voice is really nice too, even when she's all angry and bothered.

Or maybe especially when she's all angry and bothered.

You shake your head of these thoughts because you need to fucking focus, pretty brown eyes and raspy voice be damned.

"What are you doing in my house?" You demand, still in your stance of tight grip on slightly raised bat.

"I'm Camila, the dogsitter your parents hired."

So... not an intruder.

"A dogsitter? For what?" That wasn't the real question you wanted to ask, but you're too caught up in wondering why your parents never mentioned hiring a dogsitter or that the dogsitter was really fucking cute.