Life in the Flames-23

Chapter 23

Decisions

Alonia’s POV

“How in flames sake did that thing escape! Someone answer me now!” Reid yelled furiously, his red eyes seemed alive with fire.

“Reid please,” I said pulling his red face between my hands and made him look into my eyes, “Reid you must stay calm. Yelling and blaming people for what has already happened isn’t going to get her back. Please think rationally and cool yourself down.”

My words ticked in his head as I watched his fiery angered eyes soften as I held his gaze. He leaned forward and rested his forehead on mine for a moment before he took a deep breath and gently kissed my forehead.

Then he turned to his father, "Have you ordered for search parties? Increased the palace guard? Did-"

"I have taken all precautions son, the only thing we can do is wait to see if she turns up. I sent a messenger to our solider camps along our borders to warn of her escape."

"Father, we don't have her to bargain with Volcin anymore. What are we going to do?" Reid asked with a hint of apprehension in his voice. I could just feel the heat radiating off of him beside me, I could just see how tense he was beneath his white and red tunic. My fingers just itched to help him and to calm him down.

“Reid there is nothing more you can do, other than try to track her down personally, and that will not happen. If she got out, there is no way she did so by herself so she must have had help to escape,” said the king as he looked at me.

“Wait are you thinking Ruth released her? That is impossible. She wouldn’t ever. She hates Volcin,” I said trying to protect my earth bending friend.

“I’m not saying that she did release Ophelia, but we are going to need to question both Ruth and Ylliana just to clear their names and prevent any further unease from the people of Floric. We have never had this many different elements represented here in Floric, especially in the palace and we need to take care to make sure rifts do not develop because of the different elemental backgrounds,” the king said before he sent a servant who was walking by to fetch both of the earth wielders.

“I understand sir,” I said as my head swirled with all that had just happened and my battling emotions. I was furious that Ophelia had escaped and that my new friends were to be questioned. But I had to be calm, for Reid. I had to control myself so I didn’t make any brash decisions, and to keep him from doing something he would regret.

It seemed if my body had gone limp, my arms brushed the skirt of the light blue dress with a golden circled belt that rested on my hips and my entire body tingled from the war of feelings in my head. My heart felt like it hadn’t stopped pounding since Reid had…proposed.

Oh my goodness. I never gave him an answer, I thought with an intake of breath gaining a concerned look from Breezy. Her golden gaze met mine and she instantly knew there was something wrong.

“You four may go. If I need to speak with any of you I will send for you. As for now, just keep your eyes open and report anything suspicious. We may have a traitor among us in the palace,” King Blane said with his face a calm mask, but his eyes were full of frustration.

We took his dismissal as an order as all four of us left the king to talk to the head of the palace guard, who had just entered the room.

I made eye contact with Breezy and she nodded letting Thorin and Reid walk together, discussing the situation, a few feet in front of us.

“Alonia what is wrong,” she whispered, “and don’t say that Ophelia is missing. There is clearly something else bothering you.”

“I-uh-Reid,” I stuttered.