19 | K-i-s-s-i-n-g

"What?" Vera and I say at the same time. But her tone is patiently curious while mine is utterly horrified.

With Vera's back turned to me, I signal to Liam with my hand, waving it back and forth in front of my throat in a desperate plea to stop. Seized by panic, my skin tingles with a coldness that my coat can't protect me from. Liam averts his determined hazel eyes away from mine.

"I was at that—"

By an incredible stroke of luck, my phone lets out its cheery ringtone from the confines of my pocket. I can't help my sigh of relief as I reach for it. Felix Reed flashes across the screen.

I feel a sudden surge of gratitude towards him as I answer the phone breathily. "Hey, Felix!"

Vera lets out a girlish giggle and steps closer as if to listen in on the conversation. When I roll my eyes at her, my gaze lands on Liam for a moment. He's standing with his arms crossed over his chest, seemingly unpleased by the interruption.

"Hey, I hope you're not busy . . . ?" Felix says in his relaxed, low voice.

"No, tell me."

"I wanted to show you this place," he says, stalling with hesitation. "I thought we could go later this week, but . . . I just wanted to see you and —"

"I'm at the library. I can wait by the statue," I say quickly, my heart rate picking up at the way Liam and Vera's shoulders lift in curiosity.

"Right now?" Felix asks, sounding surprised.

"Yeah. Is that okay?"

He lets out a short laugh that's a little too loud in my ear. "Of course! I'll be there in five."

"See you," I say before hanging up.

Just as my finger lifts off the red button on the screen, Vera starts singing in a screechy voice, "Carmen and Felix sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!"

"Oh, for god's sake," I shake my head disapprovingly.

"First comes love," she continues, nudging Liam's side in an invitation to join in. But he remains silent, arms still crossed over his chest. "Then comes marriage . . ."

I'm too busy cringing in awkwardness to hear the rest of her song. Despite the anger at his sudden outburst boiling just underneath the surface, I can't control my reaction to Liam's imploring hazel eyes. My cheeks burn as he continues to stare.

I give a small jump when Vera reaches up to throw her arm around my shoulder, her petite features lit up in a bout of laughter. It takes a moment to realize she's saying something to me and not just singing a juvenile playground rhyme.

"What are you waiting for? Go!"

"What?" I ask, craning my neck to get a closer look at her.

Vera stares at me as though I've lost my mind. "Um, Felix? He's picking you up . . . ?"

"Oh," I nod, a flustered laugh leaving my throat. "Right. I should go."

My legs feel leaden as I walk towards the black door, the cool breeze forcing its way into my skin through the fabric of my coat. I turn when I hear Vera calling Liam's name.

That familiar faraway look has overtaken his sharp eyes and smooth lips again. He's staring off into the distance, beyond the short terrace wall.

"Liam!" Vera says, grabbing his forearms and stepping into his line of vision. "Let's go."

He nods once and starts towards me.

"Damn, what is with you two today?" Vera mumbles with a short chuckle, but there's no real annoyance or anger in her voice.