Blaze

Another mistake I hear people complain about all the time is Blaze. People don't know whether Gilan's horse is a gelding or a mare. Because John has used both terms to describe the horse throughout the series.

How can Blaze be both a gelding and a mare, you ask? Well, my dear readers, that also, has a very, very simple explanation.

As we all read in The Lost Stories, Ranger horses normally don't last longer than about 15 years. After that, they simply grow too old to do their job well. This happening resulted in a heart-breaking story in which Will had to 'replace' Tug I with Tug II.

This made me think. In this same story, we read that Crowley experienced the exact same thing with Cropper. This means Halt must have had the same with Abelard. And Gilan with Blaze.

So please, please imagine the following. Gilan has had Blaze for about 15 years. Something happens, and Old Bob tells Gilan he'll have to 'replace' Blaze. Gilan leaves Blaze I behind at the stables and leaves with Blaze II. Basically the exact same horse – even the thoughts are the same, as we have read when Will got to know Tug II.

Only now Blaze's gender is the opposite, simply because you cannot choose which gender you'll get.

Thus, gelding Blaze and mare Blaze are basically two completely different horses.