Insecurities

Camila was out in the field with her squad for summer try outs. It was early to start the season, but if they wanted to be the best, especially for the seniors, they needed to get their squad set early. She shook her head and marked off another name. She was just waiting for the try outs to be over with. She had been feeling sick since just after lunch, but being the captain meant she couldn't skip try outs.

"We'll let you know." She looked over at her co-captain. "I'm going to go take a break. I can't deal with anymore of this." It was the same stuff every year. A bunch of girls audition but only a handful would get in.

"Hey, Camila!" She stood up and saw Michael in his practice uniform.

"What's up, Mike?" He laughed nervously and didn't say anything. "Well? Spit it out, dumb-dumb," she laughed, "I don't have all day. In fact, I only have about five minutes. If even that long." Camila stared at Michael, waiting for his response.

"Well... My kid sister, Brie? She's trying out. I know how you can get towards the end of the tryouts so... can you be easy on her?"

Camila laughed and nodded. "Come on. I love Brie. And I know she can cheer. As far as I'm concerned, she already made the team. But she still has to try out."

Michael smiled as he looked at his ex-girflriend. He hugged Camila tightly, twirling her. "This will make her year. Especially since our aunt died right when summer started. It really got to her." 

Camila frowned when she was put back on the ground. "I'm sorry, Mike. I know that you guys were close." She reached over and hugged him tightly.

He shrugged in response, "Cycle of life, Mila. See you around?" She nodded and watched him walk off.

Meanwhile, Lauren had just gotten back to the school from her mandatory summer skate for the hockey team. She was the captain again, as voted by the team, and she was always the last one back in the locker room. She had finally gotten her own car at the beginning of summer and didn't have to rely on her girlfriend for rides anymore...in fact, they often alternated who drove. 

Lauren went into the locker room and changed before putting her bag in the car and walking over to the football field. She was standing on the side of the bleachers as she watched Camila get up from the table and go over to talk to Michael...why was she talking to him? Lauren felt her heart sink as she just watched the two from afar.

Lauren looked at Camila as she and Michael seemed...comfortable together. She knew she had know idea what they were talking about, but they both seemed happy. She cringed when she saw them hug. That completely set her off as she walked more into view, knowing that Camila would see her when she turned around again. Lauren felt her heart completely breaking. She was always insecure about Camila leaving her for a boy. She claimed that she liked girls, but Lauren was really only half girl...and was completely straight before her.

She sighed as Camila turned around and looked at her with a big smile. Instead of going toward her, Lauren walked toward the exit of the field just wanting to leave and go home to enjoy the rest of the day.

Camila watched as Michael walked off. She missed the poor guy; he was a good friend before they started dating. She wished that she was there for him and his family when his aunt died. She sighed and turned around towards the table again. She saw Lauren. She smiled and waved but that smile disappeared when she saw Lauren walk towards the parking lot.

Lauren didn't want to wait around for Camila. She walked to the parking lot and got in her car before starting it. She sat there for a moment thinking about how bad she felt just leaving Camila without a ride, but she didn't care. She was trying to sort through her own feelings at the moment. Lauren just put on her seatbelt and drove away, knowing that Camila was probably confused. She knew that Camila still had another 30 minutes of tryouts when she left. She got home and parked her car in the street before heading straight up to her room, shutting the door behind her and getting into her bed to take a nap.