Chapter 1

Lainey Sullivan was closing.

Again.

Her co-worker and friend, Nicki, had been missing for a few days, allowing Lainey extra hours. The overtime didn't bother her at all. Any opportunity to get away from her mother and make money at the same time was welcomed with open arms. Lainey hardly noticed that for the past couple of days she'd been working at The Roosting Nest Cafe from morning until closing.

She undid her apron, tossed it on the table she had just finished cleaning and sat down. The weekends always seemed to go by slow despite how busy they were. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the wad of cash she made in tips for the day. Nicki had taught her that being flirty with usually guaranteed a large tip. She counted fifty-seven dollars. Nowhere near the amount Nicki made in a single day on a normal shift. But that was probably because Lainey refused to wear tight miniskirts to work.

She stared out at the night. It somehow seemed a lot darker than it did a couple of weeks ago before people began going missing. Before bodies were being found all over town. Mangled. As if they were all mauled by a monster. Most of the victims were women. A few found in compromising positions. Not a hint of dignity or remorse shown by the victims' attacker. And even today, the Sheriff's department have no idea who—or what—is behind the murders.

Lainey's small town of Sancova, Oregon had never experienced anything like it before. Not in her seventeen years of life, at least.

The staffroom door behind the register counter opened and the cafe owner, Amy Clark, stepped out.

"I'm really starting to rethink opening the shop on Mondays," she sighed, stepping from behind the counter. "Or at very least, opening a couple of hours later—the weekends are just too much."

"You telling me?" Lainey said. "Two sixteen-hour shifts right behind each other is no joke. And on top of that, I have school in the morning."

"Oh, cut that out," Amy said, approaching Lainey's table. She was a fairly tall, curly-haired blonde woman, and like a godmother to Lainey. "You're young! Enjoy that abundant young vigor." She sat down. "It doesn't last forever, and once it's gone, it ain't coming back—believe it."

Lainey smiled.

"Sure. I'll keep that in mind."

Amy stared at her with soft and tired eyes.

"Lainey, you've been a big help this weekend," she wearily said. "Chloe and I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you so much."

"Of course. Anytime, Amy," Lainey said, pulling a wad of cash from her pocket. "I've made the most I've ever made in tips."

"I've noticed," Amy said, grinning. "I see you've picked up some tips from Nicole."

A heavy silence followed Amy's words.

"I-I'm sure that wherever she is," Amy quickly added, "she's fine. She's . . . just—"

"Amy, stop," Lainey whispered, forcing a smile. "I appreciate you trying to make me feel better, but Nicki's been missing since Friday night. It's Sunday night and nobody's heard a word from her. She hasn't called or texted anybody, or posted anything on social media for two days—which is unlike her." Lainey put her head down. "It's not looking too good. Especially with what's been going on in town as of late. Is it . . . bad that I'm preparing for the worst?"

Amy sighed.

"Oh, sweetheart," she softly said. "We have to remain positive and hopeful. It's the best thing we can do for Nicole."