Chapter Eight

Sorry it's been so long since the last update, but here you go! Xo

*****************************

I avoided Max and Vincent both for the rest of the weekend, which wasn't that hard, considering the size of our campus. However, when Monday afternoon rolled around and it was time for practice, I was less than enthused by the idea of going. Not only did I not want to see Max after what happened at the party, but I didn't want to see Vincent to tell him that he was right.

But I eventually had to put my childishness aside and suck it up. I walked onto the field a few minutes late, and most of the guys were already in the locker room before I got there. I silently picked up the PT bag and first aid kit from Coach's office, smiling in greeting at Coach Baxter, and cowering away from the glare Sandra gave me.

By the time I got onto the field, most of the guys were by the sidelines talking and laughing amongst themselves. When I walked over, most of the conversation halted, and the guys gave me weird looks. The other seniors on the team, Max's friends whom I was never really close with, just smirked as I passed.

The guys I was close with- Holden, Andrew, Rory, and them- stared at me blatantly, their looks ranging from confused to guilty. I furrowed my brow at them, confused as to why everyone was suddenly paying attention to me. But then my gaze met Max's from a few feet away, and he was smirking at me with a knowing look in his eyes.

"Lily," Trevor calls, and pushes his way through the guys to stand in front of me, blocking me from everyone's view. "What the hell happened on Friday?"

I realized he was talking about what happened between Max and I, and I felt my stomach drop. I look around nervously and still see most of the guys with their eyes glued to me, murmuring amongst themselves. Max and his friends laugh loudly from a few feet away, stealing glances at me from behind Trevor's built frame.

"You're kidding me," I mutter under my breath, and then look up at Trevor. "What is he telling people?"

Trevor frowns at me, lowering his voice as he says, "That you guys had sex at the party."

"What?" I exclaim loudly, not even bothering to keep my voice down. When I realize I've brought even more attention to myself, I hiss, "He tried hooking up with me outside, but I stopped it. We just kissed!"

Guilt flashes through Trevor's eyes before he looked away from me, and I halt my anger as I look at him. My brow furrows and I stare at him, waiting for him to meet my gaze, but he refuses. Clearly, Trevor knows something that he isn't telling me.

"Trevor," I say slowly. "What is it?"

He finally looks down at me nervously, mumbling, "I heard some of the seniors on the team make a bet about who could get you in bed first."

I narrow my eyes at him. "And you know about the bet at the party?"

Trevor's guilt was the only confirmation I needed. A sense of dread washes over me as I realize that the guys on the team, the ones that were supposed to be my friends, had made such a disgusting bet. The entire time, they watched Max flirt with me, watched me stupidly fall for it, and laughed about the whole thing.

"What the hell, Trevor? Why didn't you tell me?" I snap at him, my voice deathly quiet so nobody could overhear our conversation.

He looks at me with big eyes full of regret as he explains quickly, "I was going to, but then I saw your friend Jane was with you, and I've wanted to talk to her for so long, that I kinda forgot about it."