Chapter 44

I Will Follow You Into the Dark-Death Cab for Cutie

I can feel the fear and nervousness flowing through my entire body as I wrap my arms tightly around Jake's torso. But soon all of my worries have drifted away, as I breathe in his heavy peppermint orange smell.

The engine revs and we're off, zooming right past all of the brilliant green trees, making them appear to be one very long multi-toned green blur. My long thick tresses are whipping wildly around, obscuring my vision, and I'm practically blind at the moment; but if I tilt my head at a certain angle, instead of my hair whipping in my face, it fans out wildly behind me. I really love this feeling. Before ever riding on a motorcycle, I had thought for sure that I would hate it, that it would feel like a death trap, but now as I'm riding it, holding onto Jake, I feel safe, happy, exhilarated.

I can feel the waning moon shining down on me, and even though it's not a full moon, it's still bright and empowering. A small smile lifts my lips.

I'm not sure how far away the Eribiss world is, or what I'll do when I get there. Different scenarios have been running through my head since Jake first told me I'd be going. There's one scenario where they say I'm not allowed there because my mom and dad were from different clans.
There's another scenario where the person that's supposed to train me refuses to help.
There's yet another scenario where everyone immediately attacks and kills me.
The scenario where they all pretend to be very kind to me but then they pour a bucket of melted butter on top of my head and shove me into a large oven, cooking me for dinner, terrifies me, but hey. I've supposedly got these awe inspiring powers, maybe they would pull through?
And then there's my personal favorite, the one where everything goes absolutely perfect, and all goes as planned...don't worry, you're not the only one that doesn't believe that's going to happen.

I can tell that there's something Jake's not telling me, he's tense, and nervous, which makes me both anxious and curious. Curiosity gets the better of me and I decide to do something that has failed every time I've tried, something that has never worked before, I attempt to read Jake's mind. I close my eyes and take a deep breath of his calming scent, then press my helmet to his back and concentrate with everything I have, trying to grab some of the moon's power. It was almost tangible, like a thread of spiders silk.

At first I heard something low, it's a voice I don't recognize, raspy and angry "Just make sure you never bring her here." Jake tenses up even more and just like that I'm kicked out of his mind. I growl out in frustration. As I replay what I heard is his head, all I can do is hope that the thought had nothing to do with me.

"Jake?" I say but my voice is whisked away by the wind instantly. "Jake?" I yell this time much louder than last. A moment later "Yeah?" Jake yells back "Why can't I read your mind?"
I ask. The question feels strange to ask it loud. Even though I yelled it loudly-and I know Jake heard-he doesn't reply. I sigh deeply and close my eyes, putting the question on hold, just for now.

After I don't even know how long, Jake hesitates for a moment before he pulls off onto the side of the road. He parks his motorcycle and hops onto the ground and takes his helmet off. "What are you doing?" I ask, taking my helmet off too. He looks around nervously as he bites his lip "Because you've been gone for so many years, you're considered an...outsider, so I'm going to have to drive you in there while you're uh...kinda unconscious." He says anxiously. I could see his body language pleading with me to just understand, but I was just too shocked to try to be empathetic.

Unconscious? What, is he going to knock me out? Not happening. "Uh, what do you mean by 'unconscious'?" I ask feeling a little nervous. "Well I'm going to have to use my er-abilities to make you kind of go into a sleeping state of sorts, just so that you don't see how to get there. It's a rule." He says, waiting anxiously for my reply. "It doesn't hurt." he quickly states, still nervously.