Six ➸ Drown

Shhh, darling don't breathe. It's peaceful down here, just let the ocean wrap you in it's arms while you sink further and further down. Shhh, darling don't scream, that only makes your throat burn more. It's almost magical down here. No one and nothing can reach you. You're alone, you're safe. Shhh, darling don't struggle, just let the darkness carry you home...

Paradox opened her eyes only to have them filled with seawater. Her throat felt like it was on fire, but her body was cold, so cold. When she started to scream again, bubbles of whatever air was left in her lungs rapidly floated to the surface. She tried to follow them, but she was stuck. Something was pulling her farther, and farther, and farther down. She clawed at her left wrist with her other hand. She knew her nails would leave marks, but that was a small price to pay for her life. Her head was spinning, everything was slowing down. Finally Paradox got a finger under the rope and pulled. It hurt, but it was working. She loosened the knot just enough to slip her arm out.

Paradox was sure that her left arm and wrist were bleeding by then, but all that mattered was swimming until she could see the sky again. Up she went, her legs kicking as fast as they could, which really was just a series of slow, feeble movements. She felt like her body was shutting down. She needed air. Finally she burst through to the surface. The air filled her lungs instantly, making her even dizzier. Then she was pushed under the waves again, but only for a moment. When she came back for air the second time, she screamed in terror; silent terror, silent scream. While she waited for her heart to stop thudding in her ears, she layed on her back and floated until she could think straight.

How did she get into the water? She was supposed to be on a lifeboat. The boats! She turned her shaking body into an almost upright position and swarm in a circle, scanning the horizon. The waves made it hard to see much of anything, but eventually she did. Or at least she thought she did.

"Come back!" She screeched, her voice small and scratchy. "Please don't leave me here!" Another wave crashed over her head, making her swallow a stomach full of salt water. She came back up coughing and sputtering, the boats completely out of sight. Taking the risk of never finding land, she left the side of the ship and swam in the direction she thought she saw them go.

"Paradox!" Aurora screamed as her best friend, the only person she loved, fell beneath the waves

Jake, knowing what she might do, jumped into their boat. "Aurora..."

"I have to go after her." A wild look flashed in the girl's eyes. Her wet, turquoise and black hair stuck to her face and neck.

"You can't, it's dangerous." Jake held tightly onto her wrist.

"She would do it for me!" Aurora screamed.

"Just wait! She'll swim to the surface." Jake promised.

Aurora watched the waves intensely, not noticing that they were drifting away until it was too late.

"No, no, no, no!" She screeched, thrashing around to try to get Jake to let her go. "She's not surfacing! I have to go get her!"