Ch1 : Don't Leave Me

Chapter 1:Introduction

     [Edited: August 18, 2015]

     (Lilly's P.O.V)

     "Dad can I invite friends over?" I asked, looking at my dad beside me. We were on our way to the mall. Today was my 13th birthday and let's just say I'm pretty ecstatic because my birthday is on a Saturday; the perfect day for a party. But, I'm only 13, so honestly, the worst thing I can do is sleep past my "bed time".

     I'm Lillian Tomson. Only child and I'm thankful for that. My dad and I have been living together for who knows how long. I loved the ocean breeze, here in Santa Monica, and I'd be devastated if we had to move. I also don't have a mom, because when I was four, she abandoned me and my dad. Least, that's what I've been told.

     Anyways, it's my birthday today and I begged my dad to bring me to get some presents. I'm not spoiled, I swear. He just promised me some gifts since I was alive for 13 years. Nonetheless, I was really excited and literally bouncing in my seat the whole car ride.

     I watched carefully as an odd feeling in my gut appeared. 

     My dad was a safe driver and was careful on the road, but apparently the other driver was the total opposite. The drivers in Santa Monica, California, were scary and you had to be cautious at all times. This time, it was too late to act fast. 

     Everything happened in fast seconds. Metal from cars and pieces being thrown into the air, narrowly hitting other objects around it. Cars stopped, people screamed, children cried. Nobody expected this to happen on a regular Saturday, to regular people, in a regular city. Phone calls were made as the two vehicles landed lopsided on either side of the street. Silence was heard throughout the citizens on the country freeway. Carefully, two men stepped up to investigate the scene. Before they could take another step, the scene blew up in flames. That's what happened in exactly seven point sixty-nine seconds.

     But to me, it seemed like the world stopped and the only thing spinning was mine.

     The driver came hurdling towards us, crossing the lines that separated the two roads.

     He was going the wrong direction and my dad tried to move out of the way, but it was too late. Our car got hit and rolled on its side multiple times, spinning around and around until it stopped, upside down. A numb feeling spread over my body as I stared at the shattered pieces of glass all over me. My eyes flickered up, realizing I was on the street and my lopsided car was over me. My heart slowed down, breathing shallowing and throat dried. I felt warm liquid everywhere, spreading and sinking into the cement.  I was barely alive. I cried out in pain, my head spinning before searching for my dad.

     Please don't be dead, please don't be dead.

     I crawled to my dad and he was just barely breathing. His eyes that were shut close had made me think death won.

     "Dad. . ?" I whimpered. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me.

     "Princess. . . I love you, okay? Don't - don't you forget that. I have one more thing to tell you. . ." He trailed off, talking so quietly I had to lean in.

     "Y-You have. . . a brother."

     I barely heard the words he whispered as I watched him take gasps of air, "What? Wait - Daddy, no! Stop, no, don't die!" I screamed. It burned my lungs, but I didn't care. I can't lose him.

     "K-keep this . . ." He placed a locket in my hand, "I love you Lilly."

     "No," I whimpered, "No, don't say that! We are going to be alright. We are going to be fine, Dad. Don't give up. Do not leave me!" I screamed, my heart no longer pumping and my lungs no longer working. I felt the air around me suddenly turn scorching hot as my world turned black, feeling my conscious slip away as I held on tight to that god-forsaken locket.