Part 31

As the night got later, I changed into some sweats and sat at a barstool near the kitchen island, still thinking about all the threats to Alexandria.

Sometimes I catch myself wondering if it would've been better for Rick not to help me, or maybe just not have brought me back here. It's not that I wasn't grateful or that I didn't love these people like family now, it's that I did. I was constantly worried that something would happen to them and that I wouldn't be able to stop it.. and it kept me up at night.

I let out a sigh as I heard a knock at the front door; my body and mind tired and desperately wanting the sleep I was depriving it of.

A tired smile appeared on my face as I opened the door to see Daryl standing on the porch once again, "Hi."

"Just wanted to come check on ya." He murmured.

"I'm good," I lightly chuckled, leaning my head against the door, "What about you?"

He nodded, "Good."

"Do you.. wanna come in?" I asked quietly, unsure of what his answer would be.

He shook his head, "I should probably be gettin' back-"

"Please?" I cut him off, "Just to get my mind off things for a minute?"

He looked back up at me, our eyes meeting before he nodded, walking through the door.

***

"Are you worried about the herd at all? Like, leading it away?" I asked as we sat on the couch, same spots as last time.

He shrugged, "It's gotta get done."

"That doesn't mean you can't be scared of it," a breathed, fiddling with my hands, "That's why we're all doing this-- we're afraid of it."

"Rick knows what he's doin'." He reassured me.

I sighed, "How long have you known Rick?"

"He showed up at our camp a few weeks after shit hit the fan," he explained, "Fuckin' hated him at first.. now he's more a brother to me than my own blood ever was."

I smiled at his short story, "Why'd you hate him?"

"Handcuffed Merle to a roof in Atlanta."

I let out a laugh, quickly covering my mouth with my hand, "I'm sorry-" I laughed again, causing Daryl to crack a smile.

"Son'bitch deserved it too, but I didn't care, I's pissed."

***

We continued talking for what felt like hours until I began feeling my eyelids get heavier; sleep finally feeling like something attainable.

"Thanks for staying up with me," I smiled as I followed him to the door, "You're a lifesaver, literally."

He nodded, walking onto the porch, "I'm stayin' at Rick's if ya ever need me."

"You mean if I ever need someone to annoy in the middle of the night?" I laughed, "I'll definitely keep you in mind."

"I'm serious," he murmured, his hair still laying in front of his face, "Anytime."

I nodded, taking in his offer, before doing something that even caught me off guard; I leaned forward and I kissed him.

I pulled back slowly, keeping our faces inches apart as I looked into his eyes.