Heading Home

"Where are we going?" asked Nick, who slowly walked and sat down onto the train car seat. Judy hopped up and sat beside him. The train was moving at a quick pace, and they would arrive at their destination soon.

"I'm taking you home." she said. Nick's ears twitched.

"You're taking me to your apartment?" he asked curiously. Why would a bunny bring a dangerous predator into her home?

"No," she said, "I'm taking you to my first home. My home out in the suburbs.. Where my parents and the rest of my family live."

Nick was shocked. This rabbit was going to bring him into her home? With her family? What would they think of him? Predators terrorized and tortured preys for thousands of years in the stone ages, and now prey had issues with predators, and still didn't like them. And in a way, Nick could understand the hate. But he felt it unfair. He never even laid a claw on a prey animal. But still. Why was Judy being so nice to him? Why was he being nice with her now? They are supposed to hate each other. They're natural enemies. But in some weird way, this bunny seemed to soothe Nick. She was calming.

"Is something bothering you besides your injury?" her voice came through. Nick snapped out of his daze, then shook his head.

"Nah..Just a lot of pain.. Four large claw marks in your side doesn't exactly feel too great."

"I would think so." she said, sort of joking.

"Judy...." Nick started. She looked at him, awaiting whatever he was going to say.

"What will your family think of me? Do they have some prejudice towards predators? I mean, I know some say you can't really be prejudice to predators but, will they see me differently? Will they be afraid that I am going to hurt them?" he asked, with a little bit of sadness in his voice.

Judy hesitated for a moment, then shook her head.

"My family will be shocked to see I've brought a predator home. And not just any predator. But a fox..."

Nick looked down at the floor sadly.

Judy began again a moment later.

"But they will still speak to you.They will treat you nicely. And if any of them try to hurt you or make fun of you, I'll deal with them." She gave him a wink, then turned her attention to the train window. The train was passing through the main part of the city. Only a few more minutes, and she would be home.

"Carrots?" she heard Nick say again.

"Yes?"

"Why do you think prey and predators can never get along?" Nick knew that they were the only two in the train car. So he wasn't worried about anyone hearing them speak. He thought this would be the best time to ask. He wanted to hear her opinion.

"I... It's just a long history Nick... Predators used to eat prey. But finally, the predators vowed to stop killing prey, and our truce sort of began.. With predators turning to alternatives and not eating prey anymore, the preys numbers began to sky rocket. However, some predators still believed that they should stick with their roots and continue eating prey. They attacked prey, and soon distrust towards predators began growing once again. "

Judy sighed.

 "With mostly prey in charge now, after predators became 10% of the city's population and were done ruling, the tame collars were created. And, it's kind of hard, you know. Because predators have done horrible things to preys.. But now predators also wear the collar." 

It's hard to get along when these types of things go on. We all suffer. Both sides hate the other. It's an endless circle of us vs them, them vs us."

Nick took it all in. " Wow..pretty deep..." he said. He giggled a little bit.

Judy sat there moving her carrot pen around in her hand. The train ran over a bump, causing them to rise up out of their seats for a moment.

"Didn't you think the collar was actually necessary?" he asked, "That predators had something wrong in their head that made them savage and evil no matter what?"

Judy didn't answer. Then, she said "I did.." She didn't speak anymore until a few minutes later when Nick broke the uncomfortable silence.

"Carrots, are we almost to your place? My side is hurting so much.."

Judy nodded. "Yes, we just have to get off at this stop and take a bus. We'll be there in no time."

"Carrots...."

"Mhm?"

"How many siblings do you have..?"

"Um.... 275..."

"OH my gosh!" shouted Nick.

"See I told you! It's not the life I wanted to live! I wanted to get out of the stereotype that animals say about bunnies. How we are nothing but worthless freaks who multiple constantly."

"I'm going to be covered in bunny fur."

"You're going to be fine."

"I can't wait." laughed Nick. Then he instantly regretted it and put his paw to his side, trying not to cry from the pain.

Judy hopped down from the seat and motioned for Nick to join her.

" Come on, we're nearly there."