Chapter 13 - The Sorting

We quickly got off the boats and walked towards the boats. Everyone was whispering excitedly and some nervously. Rosalie could hear people saying that we had to do something amazing to prove what house that belong. When she was doing this before she believed what they were saying but now she thought about half of the things they were mentioning sounded ridiculous, no school magical or not would not let you fight a troll like Ron Weasley was mentioning.

As soon as they reached the large wooden doors of the school Hagrid lifted his large hand and knocked so hard Rosalie thought that the door might break. Professor McGonagall  opened the door and Hagrid said in a rough voice "The firs'-years, Professor McGonagall," "Thank-you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." Professor McGonagall said in a calm voice. She took them into a small room and spoke in a quiet but strong voice, "Welcome to Hogwarts,' said Professor McGonagall. 'The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarted yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.' Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Weasley's  smudged nose.
'I will return when we are ready for you,' said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly". She left quickly and they all started whispering again, but Rosalie just zoned out waiting impatiently. Distantly she heard the screams of the people who had just seen the ghosts, she rolled her eyes in disgust, they were all drama queens and made her want to slap each and everyone of them. A couple minutes later professor McGonagall came back in and led them to the front of the hall where the sorting hat sat in the stool. The hat started singing it's song,

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," professor McGonagall said after the hat finished singing.

"Abbott, Hannah!" Hannah stumbled out of the line looking nervous and sat on the stool, after a while, "HUFFLEPUFF!" Was shouted from the hat.
The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table. Rosalie saw the ghost of the Fat Friar waving
merrily at her.
"Bones, Susan!"
"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.
"Boot, Terry!" "RAVENCLAW!"
The table second from the left clapped this time; several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.
" Brocklehurst, Mandy" went to Ravenclaw too, but "Brown, Lavender" became the first new Gryffindor, and the table on the far left exploded with cheers; Rosalie  could see Fred and George catcalling.
"Bulstrode, Millicent" then became a Slytherin. Rosalie and her friends all cheered for her, even Susan and Hannah even though they did get funny looks from everyone else.
"Finch-Fletchley, "Finnigan, Seamus," sat on the stool for about a minute before getting put into "GRYFFINDOR"
"Granger, Hermione!"
Granger almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head. "GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat. Weasley groaned.
When Neville was called, the hat took a long time to decide with him, when he was called he nearly tripped over his feet to get there, it finally shouted, "HUFFLEPUFF"  Neville ran off still wearing it, and had to jog back amid gales of laughter to give it
to "MacDougal, Morag", then went to sit with Hannah and Susan.
Draco swaggered forward when his name was called and got his wish at once: the hat had barely touched his head when it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!"
Draco went to join Gregory and Vincent, looking pleased with himself, Rosalie smiled at him and cheered with the Slytherins and the rest of her friends.
There weren't many people left now. "Moon" "Nott" "Pansy" then a pair of twin girls, "Patil" and "Patil" then "Perks, Sally-Anne" and
then, at last -- "Potter, Rosalie"
As she stepped forward, whispers suddenly broke out like little hissing fires all over the hall.
"Potter, did she say?" The Rosalie Potter?" She rolled her eyes and sat calmly as the hat covered her eyes.

Hmm," said a small voice in her ear. Ah, miss Potter it seems I have already sorted you. Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, A my goodness, yes -- and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting....
So where shall I put you? Should be your old house with the ones that betrayed you or should the one with your new friends."
"Whatever you think is best," Rosalie answered.
"Mm, I think you should go in the house I originally wanted to put you in and that is 'Slytherin'" the hat said loudly. The Slytherin table started cheering but the rest of the school was completely silent, too shocked to move, she supposed that everyone thought that she would get into Gryffindor like her parents. Rosalie just walked calmly over to the Slytherin table and sat next to Draco. She could feel professor Dumbledore glaring holes into the back of her, but she just ignored him aggravating him further. And now there were only three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Weasley joined the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Lisa," became a Ravenclaw and then it was Weasley 's turn. He was pale green by now. Rosalie sneered at him  and a second later the hat had shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!", 'Zabini Blaise' became the last Slytherin and Rosalie cheered loudly.

When the food came they all talked quietly and ate nicely unlike most of the Gryffindor's who were telling and practically spitting out the food in there mouths as they were eating. Rosalie stiffened as she felt a familiar glare directed at her, she turned her head and caught the eyes of professor Snape. He turned away looking disgusted and carried on eating.

After they ate, the prefects led them to the common room, which were in the dungeons, they all stood silently around the edge of the common room obviously waiting for someone, but for who Rosalie didn't know. Her question was answered when professor swished his cloak into the room impressively.