Code LIII: The First Challenge

love me some whacko Hanji <3

also a side note: what the actual frick with that season 2 of aot yall. i am so SHOOK!!! seeing my baby Levi animated again was amazing obvi lol but seriously SEEING IT ALL ANIMATED had me so shooketh.

i'll stop bothering yall now! love you all <3

---

A faint throbbing in Xora's head woke her from a troublingly heavy rest. In all honesty, she felt much worse than when she'd fallen asleep. It felt like she had taken a nap that was much too long to be a nap—like she'd entered some form of hibernation, or something ridiculous of the sort.

She rolled over in her spot, twisted in suffocating, thick covers. Exuding a deep breath, she unfurled herself from the sheets and picked herself up, sweeping her fingers through her hair. Something strange pricked at her mind—like sitting in a dark room, with a very dim light emitting a small glow. However, the glow was so minuscule that it was near impossible to detect.

Near impossible. But not impossible.

Turning to gaze at the tall windows that poured fresh sunlight into the bedroom, Xora spotted a figure standing in front of them, casting a tall shadow. Obviously, it was Levi—but what was strange was that he stood in the very spot in which the light in Xora's mind hovered. When he turned and looked at her, the light shivered.

"Awake?" he asked softly, prompting a weak nod from Xora. Something multi-faceted seemed to flicker past Xora's eyes, and they widened. Levi gave her a small nod. "You can feel it too, can't you? It's—"

"The Xyrochron's connection," Xora finished. "It's like I... like I—"

"Sensed me before you even knew I was here? I know. I can feel that, too." Levi turned to look out of the window once again to gaze upon the sunrise—or, was it the sunset? "I can feel... everything. I can't quite pinpoint everything exactly, but I—I feel it in waves. It's all so jumbled that I can't make perfect sense of everything, but I think I have a general idea of what you're feeling, or thinking."

A tiny wrinkle formed in the middle of Xora's brows. She knew.

When Levi spoke of waves, Xora felt it was more of a pulse. The light in her mind pulsed every now and then, but it changed colors; every time it was a mixture of a rainbow, but sometimes certain colors became more distinct than the others. The colors emitted different kinds of emotions and thoughts.

A quiet, light blue-ish hue, like an icy frost, pulsated, and Xora seemed to be able to feel what he was going to ask.

"Shall we—" he started.

"—Get going?" Xora finished, already swinging her legs over the bedside edge. "Yes, of course. We must. They're probably worried about us; we've been stalling this entire mission for quite some time, haven't we?'

Wordlessly, Levi took her hand and they left the room, headed straight for the library. Xora tapped a small screen on the wrist of her suit, which began to glow a light blue.

"Hello?" came Hanji's voice. "I take it you're both alive, my dear guinea pigs?"

"We're headed to the stadium now," Xora said, dodging Hanji's light joke.

"Perfect! We've been awaiting your arrival."

The two rushed to the library and found the special bookcase once more; although it was rather gimmicky, there was no denial that having a secret passage hidden behind a bookcase was fun. Descending through the tubular elevator, the duet could see the rest of their team roaming the stadium. Jean and Marco were sparring, and Mikasa and Esfir seemed to be having a bench press competition. Vinicio, Connie, and Sasha cheered the two on; it seemed like they were making bets—gambling. Hanji and Eren looked to be discussing something heavily with Armin, who seemed a bit out of sorts.