Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Hailey

Things were beginning to get a little hazy and it was growing increasingly harder to move my feet as all of the blood in my body drained towards my head. My usually perfect vision was blurred as I looked around the woods in anticipation.

I wish they would just show up already.

Wiggling around a little bit, I ended up swinging in a circle, dizzying me further. Maybe that wasn't my brightest idea, but I was desperate to get some circulation in my feet.

My mind wandered aimlessly as I waited the hunters' arrival, straying the paths of what is deemed normal.

Most people don't worry about the double cross they're about to pull, or whether their werewolf boyfriend and his family and pack will make it out of this alive. No, most people on a Friday night are out with friends or on a date or even staying in and getting some relaxation time. But instead, I'm here, dangling upside down from a tree and thinking about the impending doom that was about to be unleashed.

It's up to me now, to secure whose doomsday it will be, and I am prepared-- at least I think I am.

My mind seemed to keep tugging at the familiar path that is Chase. His sandy, curly, messy hair and his blue eyes that seem to carry more weight than the oceans when he looks at me. He's mesmerizing, and I feel myself sinking deeper and deeper into a pit with him. Maybe it's this mate bond that all werewolves obsess over, or perhaps it's just me and my mundane but extraordinary feelings for him.

Either way, I am certain that I am completely and inexplicably in love with that boy. And he has no idea of the effect he has on me.

Finally I heard it, the soft pitter-patter of hunters' feet through the woods, stepping softly on leaves and avoiding twigs and anything that could crack beneath their shoes.

It was hard to make out faces at first, but I could tell there were only three of them-- all men, as expected.

Joel's face was the first I could distinguish as he stood in the middle of the three of them, looking at me with a smirk on his face, "Oh, Hailey, what have you done this time?"

I glared at him, "Just get me the fuck out of this."

He sighed before nodding his head to the guy on his left, who cut the rope, dropping me to the forest floor with a thump.

"I appreciate the gentleness," I bit sarcastically and the man smiled cheekily.

Joel ignored my remark, "Well, Hails, you gonna tell me what happened or do I have to guess?"

"He was waiting in my room when I got back to the house," I stated, the well-rehearsed lies flowing easily through my lips. "Hit me in the eye and knocked me out."

"Who is 'he'?" The third guy asked, interrupting my story.

"The Alpha, dumbass," I spat. "As I was saying, he knocked me out and dragged me here with a couple other wolves. They were animals, nearly killed me with their filthy paws around my throat. Then they just let go and tied me up, and that son of a bitch looked me straight in the eye and said he knows there's more of us, that you'd find me, and that I have a message to deliver."

"What's the message?" Joel questioned apprehensively. I could tell he wasn't quite looking forward to my answer.

"He said I am the only warning you'll get. He said to get off his land, or he'll rip all of our throats out with his bare hands. He said that if we don't leave, after today there will be no more hunters left in existence," I spoke, although they didn't know that it was really me delivering my own threat, and not just Chase's.