1|| Percy

Percy leaned back against the tent in the dim light of the- was it morning? He wondered. The sun hasn't risen yet, so maybe it was dawn? Or was it dusk? I always mix those up-- Pay attention! He mentally scolded his ADHD.

He was keeping watch in case of another attack. Recently, certain monsters have been growing restless, even more so than usual. Like when Gaea was awaking, and they all seemed to find demigods easier. As if triggered by his thoughts, a low growl was heard.

Instantly, Riptide was in sword form in his hand. A mass of black fur launched itself at him and tackled him, a  growl emitting from the hellhound. Knocked to the ground in surprise, Percy struggled to lift his arm, which was pinned between the ground and him. Percy kicked at his doggy ribs and pushed the hellhound up while arching his back- just enough to slice the monster in half. It disappeared with a howl into golden dust.

"Huh." Percy capped Riptide and brushed himself off. Just as he sat back down, Nico burst out of the tent flap, wielding his sword. When he saw Percy, he lowered the weapon.

"Percy!" Nico ran to his cousin.

"It's not your turn yet, Nico." Then the sun burst out in all its glory. "Well, now it is."

"Death! I felt- I thought- maybe... I don't know! It was strong. And a death by magic. Definitely magic. I could sense it" Nico rambled, his eyes darting around nervously.

"Nico, calm down!" Percy edged away cautiously. Nico was freaking him out. Maybe he was drunk. Again.

"It was strong" he insisted again. "Dark. Strong. Magic. Bad. Very evil."

"Dude! You sound like Ella now. Speak English."

The other demigods shuffled out of the tent, yawning. Only then did Percy realize how much noise they'd made.

"Why," Jason grumbled. "Did you wake us up at five in the morning?"

"You felt it too?" Hazel asked Nico.

He nodded. "Dark magic," they said together.

Frank turned to Hazel. "I thought you were Pluto's side? Riches?"

Hazel nodded. "I specialize in gems, but recently I've found it a lot easier to sense death. Not as much as Nico yet, but it's getting stronger. But I only sense the dark ones. The ones with dark magic. And I feel stronger. Summoning gems is a lot easier."

Piper nodded. "My charmspeak is a lot stronger. And it feels like I have a constant adrenaline rush. You know?"

"Me too. It's like our powers are better" Thalia nodded.

Annabeth had her I'm-thinking-really-hard-so-don't-distract-me face on. "Maybe the magic in the air is enhancing our powers somehow? Or maybe- since Hazel's been sensing a disturbance in magic- the magic waves are stronger, asking for help, calling to our demigod side?"

"And it's probably making our powers stronger, to cope with the darkness. Like adrenaline" Frank said, snapping his fingers.

"But then why now? We had normal strength our first 3 years here" Thalia wondered.

Hazel responded thoughtfully. "Like Annabeth said, it probably has to do with the disruption of magic. I'm pretty sure that whatever threat is rising for the wizarding world, it's getting major bursts of power now."

"Lovely" Jason grumbled. "Now we have a magical threat shooting waves of evil which is getting bursts of power."

Piper nudged her boyfriend. "Look on the bright side, Sparky. At least we're enhancing our power."