{17}

Chapter Seventeen

“Are you really sure about letting me go like this?” Jessica asked from his shoulder as they embraced. “Because this hug is the friggin’ best."

James huffed.”You only want me ‘cause I’m taken.”

Jessica leaned back and laughed, exposing her throat at his reference to her One Direction days where she made him listen to them hours on end, he still found himself singing ‘Gotta Be You’ in the shower sometimes. Her laugh was one of those ones that showed all of her perfect teeth, the one that made her brown hair be thrown back in waves, her hazel eyes sparkle and the way she crinkled up her nose that he once found endearing but now he just noticed a beautiful girl that was way behind him.

“So who’s the lucky girl?”

James coughed awkwardly, wondering if he should tell the truth or not, not looking her in the eye and turned his head in no particular direction.

“Oh my God!” she exclaimed.”So you two finally got over your mass amount of sexual frustration and finally got together? Well done.”

James was taken aback.”Who?”

She rolled her eyes with a teasing smile and punched his arm lightly.”You and Casper? You realise that’s why I was cheating on you in the first place, right? You paid no attention to me whatsoever when he was around, always finding ways of touching each other even if it was punching or whatever. And God, he hated me at the start until I won him over with how awesome I am.”

“Yeah I’m sure that’s what is was,” James teased to which she punched him again. “Wait you cheated on me because you thought I was in love with Casper?”

“I didn’t think,” she said.”I knew. Both of you idiots making eyes at each other all the damn time and both of you too stubborn to make anything of it. Jesus, it was horrible for me, I felt like shit all the time now that I think of it... why did I ask you to get back together with me again? Forget that ever happened. You were the worst boyfriend ever.”

James laughed,” Me? Who was the one obsessed with One Direction and Black Veil Brides? It’s a wonder why I put up with you at all.”

“Hey! I am totally over my One Direction infection but say one more word about my babies and I will cut you!” She warned him with a black talon she called a fingernail.

James put his hands up in surrender but laughing all the same, he forgot how fun she was. But God, had Casper and him really been that bad for so long that it made an amazingly strong girl like Jess turn away? James couldn’t remember feeling anything but annoyance for Casper and the need to annoy him because he liked getting a reaction out of him, liked that he got so pumped up with the smallest of things James would say to him and... oh.

Fuck.

“Well, I’ve got to get over my ex and what better way that go on the prowl? And to this song! I love this song. It was nice seeing you again James.” Her smile was bright and genuine that James couldn’t help but smile back. “Now go back to your man!” he yelped as she slapped his ass and slipped away with a grin.

James chuckled, shaking his head as he returned to the booth and then frowned a little when he noticed Casper was missing.

Before he could ask Daisy she gave him a smile so wide that James just stared at it grow even more impossibly wide for a moment  until she opened her mouth “So...” she said quizzically with a glint in her eye,” how did it go?”

He looked at her, confused.”How did what go?”

“Oh, you know what I am talking about,” she pouted.”Stop being a tease, where’s Casper? I’ll get it out of him.”