12.

C H R I S T I N E

The family had left and I was left with a huge pile of plates and leftover food. Max came by and said goodnight and so did his mother whose names is Leia. She seems like a very nice lady, I noticed she treat Mathew like her second son. Mathew definitely seemed more comfortable with her than Lisa.

I haven't talked to Lisa nor her daughter whose name I discovered is Olivia. I haven't talked to Mathew's father either but he seemed nice enough to smile at me on his way to the bathroom.

I could leave all these plates and head home but that would be rude on my part.

I heard the door upstairs open and a very comfy looking Mathew stepped into the kitchen.

"It's weird seeing you without a suit" I smiled a little.

"It's weird for me too" He sighed.

"You know, you can leave those, right?" He pointed at the plates.

"I know but I would feel guilty if I did." I answered.

"Let me help you then" He offered.

"Nah, I'll mange on my own just fine" I said.

"Please let me" He said and I nodded.

I started washing the dishes while he patted them dry. The cycle went on until there were only a few left.

"So...did they like the food?" I asked.

"Absolutely...Although Lisa and Liv didn't want to admit." He said and I chuckled.

"Leia liked you a lot and she wants to invite us over for dinner but she will be the one cooking." He said.

"I liked her, too! She seemed very nice" I smiled.

"Yeah..she is" He grinned.

After we have washed the plates, we decided to have a little snack and eat from the leftovers.

"I have plastic forks in the drawer next to the fridge, we don't have to wash any forks again." He said and I laughed. I have had enough of washing for today.

I opened the plastic box which contain the food, Mathew and I started eating. I will admit I was hungry but I didn't want to say anything. Not to brag or anything but the food was delicious.

"I probably gained weight after I hired you" Mathew said and I chuckled.

"You still look the same to me" I shrugged.

I looked at the clock to see it is 11:00 p.m. I usually work later than that. But since I came early today, I can leave early.

"Did you like my family?" He asked.

"Yeah...they're pretty nice." I smiled and he smiled back.

We continued eating in silence until I felt like I will explode from how much I ate.

"Mathew...Can you please call Ryan for me?" I asked and he nodded.

I heard him talking on the phone, I threw away the used plastic forks and put the leftover back in the fridge. I wiped the table then took my stuff and went to the living room.

I sat on the couch next to him and sighed, it was a tiring day.

"Why do you think he married her?" Mathew suddenly asked without looking at me and I raised an eyebrow.

"What?!" I asked.

"Why do you think dad married Lisa?" He looked at me.

"We can't help who we fall in love with. Maybe he do really love her, maybe she pleases him in a way no other woman could or maybe he married her to fill a void in his heart. You never know." I answered. I was kind of thrown off by his question, I didn't know how to really answer him since I don't know anything about his family.

"But..she's....evil" He ran his hand through his hair. He looked like a lost child.

"I don't think your father sees her that way.." before I continue talking a honk caught me off guard.

"That's my ride" I smiled trying to lighten up the mood.

Midnight talks always ruin the day for me, they open up wounds which may have never been there in the first place. Yet it is when we are the real us.

I got up and walked to the front door while Mathew followed me. I opened the front door and I was ready to head to the car but Mathew's voice stopped me.

"Christine" He said and I turned around to look at him.

"Thank you" He smiled genuinely and I nodded at him with a smile on my face.

"Good night" I said.

"Good night" He replied.

I walked to the car and greeted Ryan before getting in. I closed the door and took one last look at Mathew before Ryan drove off.

Ryan parked outside my apartment building and I told him good night and got out.

I entered my apartment and smiled. Jennifer was laying on the couch, cuddling with the blanket. Her hand was in a half empty pop corn bowl and her red hair was all over the place.

I decided to take a picture and keep it for memories or to black mail her. I know I'm such a good friend.

After I took the picture, I shook her slightly so I wouldn't scare her. She yawned and stretched before finally opening her eyes.

"Christa" She smiled and I chuckled at her.

"Hey, Jenny" I took the blanket from between her legs and helped her upstairs to my room.

She laid on the right side of the bed and quickly fell back asleep. I couldn't leave the mess in the living room so I went back and cleaned a little. I put the popcorn bowl in the kitchen, I folded the blanket and put it aside. I closed the television and switched the lights off.

I quickly and quietly changed my clothes and plopped on the bed with a sigh.

I was tired, really tired. Although I didn't go to the diner today and I probably do more work there. But the nervousness of the situation is what tired me. I wanted to impress Mathew and his family and I would like to think that I did.