Chapter 3: Year 1: Getting to Diagon Alley

As Hermione watched the owl fly off she started asking herself a lot of questions.
"Hermione," called her mum "come down for lunch."
Hermione walked downstairs and was contemplating telling her mum about the owl and Hogwarts. Finally her mum broke the silence.
"So," her mother said, setting down a platter of sandwiches on the coffee table. "What have you been doing up in your room all day?"
"Reading," said Hermione, reaching for a sandwich. "Advanced high school chemistry."
"And how was it?" Her mother asked.
"It was very interesting, lots of information." She replied distracted with her own thoughts
"Hermione dear, is something on your mind?" Hermione didn't know how to tell her mum about the owl yet so she simply said,
"Nothing"
She finished her lunch and went back upstairs. She had left her window open in case the owl came back. She sat on her bed and looked out her window and saw a light brown dot speeding toward her window she backed up so much that she fell off her bed. The owl came to a very fast stop and landed gently on her windowsill.
It had another piece of parchment in its claw. Hermione walked over and took the parchment out of the owl's claw and opened it, this time it read something different.

Dear Miss Granger,
We received your owl and we are glad you figured out how to send one. We appreciate that you sent us your question. Since you have muggle (non-magic people) parents you don't know how to get to Diagon Alley. ( the Wizarding city) so as long as it is okay with your parents we shall send a worker from the Ministry Of Magic tomorrow. Please send an owl when you know.

Sincerely,
Professor Minerva McGonagall

Hermione wasn't sure what the Ministry of Magic was but she had other things to think about. How was she going to tell her mum that she had been accepted into a mgical school and that someone from the Ministry of Magic was coming to her house the next day to get her and bring her to some place called Diagon Alley to get magic books and magical materials. What was she going to do?

Hermione walked downstairs and saw that her father had come home.
"Hey Mum, Dad," Hermione said quietly peeking around the corner "I uh, have to talk to you about something."
"Sure Hermione, come have a seat." Her mother said. Hermione took a seat opposite her parents.
"Listen mum, dad, there's something I have to tell you." She said almost whispering.
"Yes dear?" Her father replied.
"Earlier I received a letter through my window," she began, curiosity growing on her parents faces. "An owl came through my window," she continued. "The owl had a letter in its claw and it said that I've been accepted into Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry." Hermione's parents looked shocked
"Hermione I think that's just the kids nextdoor playing tricks on you." Said her mother.
"But mum I saw it flying from miles away and when I replied it came back with another letter." Hermione started again. "And they said that they are sending someone from the Ministry Of Magic tomorrow to come bring me to Diagon Alley to get my school supplies, you can come too if you want." She finished
"Hermione how are we sure this isn't a trick?" Said her father.

All of a sudden there was a knock on the door. Mrs. Granger got up to answer the door, it was a man who was wearing unusual clothes with holes and patches.
"Hello," the man said perkily "I'm Arthur Weasley and I work at the Ministry of Magic." Mr and Mrs. Granger were staring at him while Hermione was smiling from ear to ear. "I am looking for a Miss Hermione Granger, I've got to take her to get her school supplies for her first term at Hogwarts." He said Mrs. Granger's mouth agape. "You two can come as well and you don't even have to worry about money the Ministry has given some to me to spend on you, and if my calculations are correct you should have enough money to keep throughout the year." He finished. After awhile one of the Grangers spoke up.
"So we are just supposed to let you take our daughter to some place we have never even heard about-"
"Of course I don't expect you to let me take Hermione, no responsible parent would, that is why you can come with,but if Hermione doesn't get her school supplies then I am afraid she can't go to Hogwarts."
"Mum, Dad, please let me go you're always saying my uniqueness has a purpose, maybe this is my purpose." Hermione said.
"Hermione, I give you my full support but it is your father you need to consult." Mrs. Granger said. Hermione looked over to her father who was still in shock.
" Hermione I think it would be wonderful for you to go to Hogwarts." He said. "As long as we can come with you to this Diagon Alley." He continued.
"Why of course you can," said Mr. Weasley. "As long as you can keep the Wizarding world a secret you are welcome in Diagon Alley." He finished.
"They can keep a secret." Hermione burst out, filled with excitement.
"Well then," Mr. Weasley began again. "Off we go then."he said walking our of the doorway. Hermione ran after him but her parents were still in the house
"Mum, Dad, come on." Hermione yelled. Mr. And Mrs. Granger stepped out of the house and saw a baby blue car sitting outside.
"This is how we will be getting to Diagon Alley," Mr. Weasley said. "Go on, get in." Hermione got in first, then her mum and last her dad. "Now you might want to hold on." Mr. Weasley pressing a button on the dashboard of the car and the car dissapeared out of nowhere and reappeared in front of a brick wall. "Alright then," Mr. Weasley said. "Were at Diagon Alley now. Everyone out of the car." They got out of the car, Hermione walking around examining almost everything. Mr. And Mrs. Granger were still in the car laying in shock after what had just happened.
"So how exactly are we going to get to Diagon Alley?" Hermione said
"Well," Mr. Weasley began. "Watch." Mr. Weasley pulled out his wand and started to count some of the bricks, then he mumbled something quietly but Hermione couldn't hear him. Then, right in front of her eyes, the bricks started shifting on their own forming a doorway. Once they were done Mr. Weasley looked over at Mr. And Mrs. Granger and said "Well, come on, we beat be going before all of the shops close."
Hermione's mother began to speak. "No, no, Hermione why don't you go get your school supplies with Mr. Weasley and me and your father will stay here."
"Well then Hermione," said Mr. Weasley. "We best be off." And with that said the two stepped through the doorway and vanished, the doorway vanished with them.