.08

The information- the mission- Ella had been given hit her right in the gut. She was to go to Christophsis and alert Anakin Skywalker as well as her new master, Obi Wan, that they needed to get back to the Temple immediately. All connections had been disrupted between them and their base, so it was up to her to deliver the message. Well, her and the boy who stood next to her.

"And who might you be?" The boy spoke very quickly, as if he didn't really care. He stood with perfect posture- his head held high, shoulders thrust back, and eyebrows slightly raised. His hair was perfectly slicked down, not a strand stuck up and his tunic had not a single wrinkle. Hesitantly, he stuck out his hand to shake Ella's.

"I'm Ella," she replied with a toothy smile. She shook his hand, her grip tighter than his light one. He quickly jerked his hand away as soon as she remotely started to soften her grip.

"I'm Grant Justin," the boy said politely. Ella almost snorted when she heard his name. She'd heard of him before. Ahsoka called him Goody-two-shoes Grant.

Though he was polite, there was still a sort of disgust in his voice as he looked at Ella. "You know, my parents- although they mean nothing to me since we Jedi cannot have attachments- based my name off the word grand, I think I've definitely lived up to the meaning. Don't you think?"

Ella's eyes narrowed. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked defensively.

She was sure if this boy had long hair, he would have flipped it. "Well, I'm the Chosen One's Padawan! Only the best of the best get to learn from the best," Grant said proudly.

There was an awkward silence, as Ella had no idea how to respond to such a statement. Maybe it's me, she thought. I've only been around people for, what, less than a week?

"Well," Ella said, mocking the way Grant began his last sentence, "Obi Wan taught Anakin, so maybe that means I'm just as good as he is." She tilted her head and raised her eyebrows at Grant. Their ship lurched forward into Hyperspace.

She noticed Grant had to ponder his answer for a moment. "I highly doubt it, Obi Wan most likely wanted a break after having such a great Padawan like Anakin."

Ella scoffed, "Anakin probably wants to teach someone easy first! Obi Wan has more experience with great Padawans, so he should have me!"

"How the Padawans are assigned is up to the Jedi Council, not for us to ponder. Whatever reasoning they had, they've done correctly, using the Force as their guidance. I mean, how could they go wrong? The Council is always right."

Ella let herself laugh at him, just for a second. "I think," she huffed, "they've brain washed you into thinking they're oh-so perfect."

Grant gasped, looking like Ella had broken every single rule ever put intact. "Ella!" He gasped. "How could you possibly say that?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I've got my opinions, and I'm going to keep them."