10: Piano Practice

Today Kyoya had me playing piano. He always seems to find a way to keep me busy. Yesterday he had me make some outfits in advance and the day before I had to make paintings of some of the guests. I was exhausted, but Kyoya didn't seem to notice or care.

I played the piano until I couldn't feel my fingers, took a little break, and played again. When all of the guests left I decided to practice some new songs. The piano they had in the music room was beautiful, I have one like it, but it isn't a Snow White colour.

"The Host club has ended for the day, you are free to leave"

Kyoya always stays after to... get things ready for the next day, I guess. He is always the one to lock up, probably making sure nobody stole anything, even though I don't see the point because this is a school for rich kids.

"I was just practicing"

"I see, you may continue if you wish"

He goes off into another room, I continue playing my piece. Something's up with him, last time I tried staying he kicked me out. Why not now? Kyoya comes back.

"Will you be leaving soon? I'd like to lock up"

"Why?"

Before I can speak I cut him off, knowing what he actually meant. "Are you still thinking I can't handle myself?"

He doesn't speak for a bit, then he says, "no, I just wanted to lock the doors"

"No, I know what you meant"

"Think what you want"

"Anyway, why did you let me stay?"

"Why not?"

"You didn't last time"

"I didn't have time to stay last time"

He seems persistent on not telling me the real reason why. I cross my arms at his answer, one eyebrow up, and stare at him until he tells me the truth. He sighs, as I finally get him to come clean.

"I just wanted to make sure you made it out safely. Anybody could be lurking around the doors"

"So I was right"

"Yes. But feel free to play as long as you like, I don't have to leave right away"

I smile. He sits next to me on the empty space, our shoulders are touching. I play, ignoring my personal space which is currently being violated. Kyoya watches intently.

"How do you play so well?"

I glance at him out of the corner of my eyes, he was looking at me, and answer. "Practice"

"How much have you practiced?"

"My whole life"

"Do you ever take a break?" He seems to be a bit worried for my mental health, how sweet.

"Yes. Not often but sometimes"

"You need to slow down, you have plenty of time left in your life. You need to make sure you live it how you want to"

I stop playing and turn to him. I look him in the eyes, thinking about what he said. Live life how I want to. Never thought of that.

"But this is how I want to live"

"You'll have no time for anything else in your life. Only your activities"

"I know. It's my choice"

He takes my hands in his. "Why don't you teach me how to play a song? I've never played before, so you'll have to be slow, but it's good practice for future events when you need to take your time"

I look at our hands, back at him, and turn to the piano. I start teaching him one of the first songs I learned. We're sitting here for about an hour and he picks it up quite easily.

"Now, play the whole song"

He proceeds to do so. It sounds beautiful, and I join him. I play it an octave higher. Both of our hands are gliding across the piano, at one point in the song our hands meet in the centre. They brush against each other but I don't notice, I'm too engrossed in the song.

Kyoya stops playing which causes me to stop.

"Was I going too fast?" I ask innocently.

"No, I just think it's time for you to be going home. It's getting late"

We stand up and I head for the door. He follows me. When we get outside the school I turn right and start walking.

"Do you not have a ride?" He asks

"I just wanted to go for a midnight walk"

"How about I accompany you?"

"Sure" I smile. He's really sweet, I'm still mad at him for earlier but I can forget that for now.

We make it to my house, we have been talking about some things on the walk.

"Goodnight Kyoya" I hug him, as thanks for walking me home. He freezes under my touch.
When I pull away he speaks. "Goodnight" he then walks away.

What is truly going on in your mind? You can't really care about playing piano.