Noah

Mira chose to wear her favorite dress to the fair. It was a pastel blue, spaghetti strap dress that hugged her torso and flowed down to just above her knees. She waved her hair, too, and took more than her usual ten minutes to apply makeup. She realized how excited she was as she was getting ready. She hadn't been this excited about going on a kind-of-date with a potential-love-interest since high school.

Charlie and Sam hadn't seemed too thrilled during the car ride to the fair. Charlie had offered to drive, given that the alternative was taking a bus. Since Mira and Sam lived on campus, they didn't have use for a car. Mira had waited until then to let them know that Aiden would meet them there.

"Who?" Sam asked from the back seat.

"Aiden. The guy from our Bio class." Mira said, trying to hide her nervousness with an authoritative tone. Charlie gave her a long side eye and she felt herself blush. "It's not a date," she said self-consciously.

"Well, make sure he knows that. I don't want to have to get my gun involved." Charlie said, and winked at her.

Mira laughed, assuming it was a joke. A few seconds passed and she realized she wasn't so sure. She glanced back at Sam who was watching Charlie warily.

"You have a gun with you?" he asked. "You're bringing a gun to a county fair?"

Charlie laughed and glanced at him through her rear-view mirror. "These guns" she said, flexing her muscles. Sam's sigh of relief was audible. Charlie looked back at Mira, growing serious again. "But really. Send me a text if he gets handsy or needs to be put in his place."

"Well, we'll be with them," Sam commented. "So she won't need to send a text."

Charlie rolled her eyes. "How about we give them just a little time to themselves, lover boy? We're not the ones Mira did her hair to impress." And there was that bluntness that made every conversation Charlie was a part of a challenge. But Mira couldn't help smiling at her and mouthing the words "thank you". "Besides, Mira said earlier that she doesn't like big kid rides and so you'll have to accompany me instead."

It was true. Mira didn't like any rides that went faster than a Merry-Go-Round. If humans were supposed to put themselves through death simulations, there wouldn't be such a thing as a speeding ticket.

Sure enough, almost as soon as they stepped through the entrance, Charlie rushed off to find something Mira was sure she'd think was terrifying. Sam gave her a long look, then smiled unconvincingly.

"Is he meeting you here?" He asked, resting his hands in his pockets.

"I texted him earlier to meet me at the front," Mira said. "We'll meet up with you and Charlie in a little bit."

Sam sighed. "Be safe, okay?" Mira nodded and watched as he tried to catch up with Charlie.

As soon as Sam was out of earshot, Mira checked her phone. She felt her heartrate accelerate as Aiden's name flashed on her screen. He had texted her. She unlocked her phone, beginning to grow nervous as she wondered whether or not he was nearby. She was still excited about seeing him, but she couldn't tell if that excitement overpowered her nervousness.

She skimmed over the message he sent her. It read: Sorry, I got a little sidetracked and I'm running late. I'll text you when I'm there and I promise to make it up to you.

She smiled, then frowned, then smiled again. She couldn't tell if the message was a bad sign because he was running late to their meetup, or a good sign that he was sweet about his having to be late. She decided she might as well assume the best until he proved her wrong. However, she didn't want to text Sam and Charlie that he wasn't there yet. Mostly because she was afraid that Charlie would tell her in a brutally honest and convincing manner that this must mean he wasn't too interested in her.