Chapter 11: No Fighting

The pounding in my head would never cease as I watched Oliver take down Cat. It looked like it was getting easier for us to take down one another, mostly because Eric would add onto his cruel and unusual punishments if we refused. Yesterday Jane was dangling over the chasm when she refused to fight Cade, and then when Boyd refused to fight Quincy, Eric went up to him and dragged him into a small closet for around an hour after he beat him.

I barely remember being woken up this morning, but according to Sasha, Eddie knocked me out cold and I was left unconscious for about 15 hours. The only thing I remember was Eric harshly yanking at my sheets and splashing a cup of ice cold water on my face, he yanked at my hair, and then dragged my sorry butt out of bed while I was still out of it.

"Mercer, you'll be going up against Bailey," Eric's voice directs towards me and my head snaps in his direction. I feel pain shoot through my head like a bullet and I have to take a moment to compose myself before harshly glaring in his direction that he's still making me fight under these conditions. But then again what do you expect, it's Eric.

I watch as Eddie pummels Ben to the ground making Ben's body go limp. I grew up with every single one of these kids, I always knew them to be so kind and caring and well... Amity for crying out loud. Now I see what Eric can do, he turns the best into the worst and kills any good in anyone. Maybe the best way to defy him is to still be kind despite what he's done.

"Alright Mercer, Bailey, in the ring," Eric sighs while looking around obviously bored with everyone because apparently us beating the crap out of one another isn't entertainment enough for him. I step slowly into the ring giving Eric one last death glare before turning to my tiny opponent. Despite her being only about an inch taller than me she still is probably about 50 pounds less then me, while I sport curves and a chest she is built like a stick and her slick straight dark brown hair doesn't help.

To my surprise she is quick to attack first, swinging almost a perfect left hook at my face but my instincts kick in right away and move my head out of the way before she can hit her mark. At the sudden movement my head spins and my world dips slightly to the side, there's not doubt I have a concussion and Bailey knows this and will defiantly use it to her advantage.

She takes another swing and this time hits her mark, sending my head snapping to the side and my body crumbling to the ground. The padding of feet fills my ears as I see her figure hop off the mat, I don't blame her for what she did, if I was in her position I wouldn't have done anything different, quick and mostly painless.

"You keep going until the other can't continue," Eric's voice fills my head from all sides and I can't tell if he's to the right or left of me.
"I don't think she can... sir," Bailey's strong voice addresses Eric and I know she doesn't want to fight me. This time heavier footsteps meet my ears and seem to echo all around me and I feel my heart stop for a moment when I see Eric's pierced face right in front of mine.

"Get up," he says calmly crouching down by my fallen figure. In one swift movement his hands are gripping my shoulders and I'm yanked upwards.
"Stand up," he orders with finality in his voice. Gritting my teeth I push aside the nausea that's swarming and pressing on my body as I stand on shaky feet.

I soon see the fear filled eyes of everyone around me, I guess I've gotten used to seeing them this way and I can tell by the tone in Eric's voice he's close to snapping. Bailey meets my eyes and her big brown eyes stare at me with regret and then I see her small figure charging at me.

As if out of instinct I grab her shoulders and throw her to the ground, the world sways and I can no longer rely on my eyes so I rely strictly on touch as I place my first punch. I know it's sloppy and probably pretty weak but at least I made a hit. I feel Bailey's tiny hands claw at the arm holding her to the ground as I place one more strong punch.