[07] Counter Detective

MAVIEL

I ONLY have six subjects for this semester. But thanks to my mandatory detective training at the Moriartea Cafe, nadagdagan pa ng isa ang sakit ko sa ulo.

For the past few days, I have been reading about Sherlock Holmes, kagaya ng in-instruct ng aking detective mentor na si Sigmund. Medyo nakakadugo ng ilong ang pagkakasulat dahil isa ito sa mga classic novel. But I was no stranger to this kind of readings. AB Literature ang kinukuha kong course kaya sanay na ako sa mga ganitong babasahin.

That was an interesting read, of course, but I doubt that someone like the greatest fictional detective of all time existed. In retrospect, however, Sigmund's existence was telling me that a real life Sherlock might be possible.

"Good afternoon!"

Napaangat ang mga balikat ko nang marinig ang kanyang boses. He was on my mind a few moments ago. Out of nowhere, he appeared at the center of the library. Well, it wasn't magic. I wasn't just paying attention.

"How did you know that I'm here?" I hissed. I'd rather not get the attention of the strict librarian who's making rounds a few tables away.

Maingat na hinila ni Sigmund ang kahoy na upuan at marahang umupo. His curly hair bounced as he took his seat. "People follow routines. It isn't that difficult to predict what they're going to do and where they're going. And fortunately — or unfortunately — you are one of them."

"At paano mo nalamang pumupunta ako sa library?" tanong ko. "Teka, huwag mong sabihing—"

"No! No! I'm not a stalker!" pailing-iling na depensa niya. His voice was slightly raised so he got the attention of the librarian. "I asked Nikolai to follow you since a couple of few days ago. Lumabas sa kanyang pagsunod sa 'yo na lagi kang pumupunta ng library bago ka mag-duty sa cafe."

"Nikolai? But I never noticed him around me!"

"Don't underestimate his skills." One end of his lips curved and formed into a smirk. "Alam na rin niya kung saan ka umuwi. If you failed to notice him following your trail, then he isn't losing his touch."

"That's creepy, you know. Asking someone to tail an innocent girl without telling her beforehand."

"Creepy, yes, but that's necessary. One of these days, he will teach how to hide your presence flawlessly and follow someone stealthily."

In short, Nikolai's going to teach me how to be a hardcore stalker. I did not sign up for this!

"What? Are you having second thoughts of canceling our contract?" may pang-aasar na tanong ni Sigmund. I hate it whenever he second-guessed what's on my mind.

"Get used to it."

"Okay, fine! Tell me what you want! May kailangan ka sa akin kaya ka pumunta rito, 'di ba—"

But my words were cut short when the shadow of the plump librarian appeared on the table surface. Dahan-dahang lumingon ang mga ulo namin sa tila iritableng mukha nito.

"May I remind you two na library 'to at hindi love-rary? Kung gusto n'yong maglandian, humanap kayo ng ibang lugar!"

"Ma'am, nagkakamali ho kayo. Hindi ho kami—"

"GET OUT! NOW!"

No words would suffice to calm down the angry librarian kaya minabuti na naming umalis. Ang sabi nila, kapag nairita siya sa mga estudyante, uulan daw ng mga libro sa buong library. I'd rather not create a commotion here.

"Mission success!" bulalas ni Sigmund nang makalayo na kami. "I'm not yet losing my touch, am I?"

"What do you mean by mission?" kunot-noo kong tanong. "Sinadya mo bang kunin ang atensyon ng librarian kanina para paalisin tayo?"