0.44

A mass of students was in the hallway as Rowen made her way to her first class of the day. Advanced Runes. It was probably on of her favorite classes she took while at Hogwarts. She loved learning what they meant. While she sat in class taking down notes that the teacher was telling them. She went through her day with ease and finally was in her final class of the day with Professor Slughorn. He smiled at her when she walked into the room.

"Ah, Miss. Black. I was so excited to see that you'd be in my class. Your marks from last year were astounding. Much like your mother when I had her." Rowen smiled.

"Thank you, sir. It's an honor to be learning under you." the rest of the seventh years that were lucky enough to make it into this class stood around their tables. 

"Now class. I've prepared a few conceptions this afternoon. I did the same thing with my sixth years as well, so let's see if you're just as smart. Any ideas what these might be?" everyone took a closer look and Rowen raised her hand, "yes, Miss Black?"

"The first one would be Veritaserum. And the one next to it would be Polyjuice Potion. And the last one is Amortentia. It's said to be the most powerful love potion in the world. It's very dangerous because it's can make people go crazy with love. But it's also set to smell differently for each person, according to what attracts them."

"And what do you smell Miss Black?" she stepped closer to the caldron and took a deep breath. She smiled.

"I smell; fresh flowers, a burning fire, and firewhisky, Sir."

"Is that what George Weasley smells like?" someone said from the back, she found it was a seventh year Slytherin and she glared at the student.

"Don't cross me, Tessa." Rowen said harshly before turning back around to face Professor Slughorn.

"Take your seats." Rowen sat at her table with three other Gryffindors and looked forward, "Amortentia doesn't create actually love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession, like Miss Black said. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." he put the lid on the caldron and turned back to the class.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." someone said pointing to the last cauldron 

"Ah, yes." Slughorn stepped over to the small cauldron and ladle a bit of a Golden liquid into a tiny vial, "what you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as--"

"Liquid luck."

"Yes, Miss Black. Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. but brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed... at least until the effects wear off."

"Then why don't people drink it all the time?"

"Because taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence."

"Have you ever taken it, sir?" Rowen asked.

"Twice. Once when I was twenty-four. Once when I was fifty-seven. Two tablespoons taken at breakfast. Two perfect days..." he looked at the vial as if he were remembering those two perfect days, "so, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck...to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook." Rowen flipped to the page and went over the ingredients and what to do. Some of it made no sense, and she wondered why she wasn't taught this last year with Snape, but she didn't think to much into it before getting started, "you should know that in all the years of my previous tenure at Hogwarts, only one student produced a sufficient quality to claim this prize. In any event--good luck." Slughorn sat the vile on his desk.  Rowen turned to her book and grabbed a Sopophorous bean and read the instructions to cut it. She noticed beans were flying across the room. Rowen picked up the silver dagger on his desk and had it hovering over the bean. She shrugged and cut it as quickly as possible before grabbing it and squeezing the juices into the caldron. She did her best to create the potion the right way, but she didn't. She messed up somewhere along the line and was now looking a mess. She tried to smooth her clothing out as she looked at her Cauldron with defeat and sighed. She cleaned up her station and Slughorn gave a small speech about the effort and she left to go to the Great Hall for dinner.