Chapter 63: Romania

Team: Hawkeye, Rhodey, Wanda, Deadpool, Wasp

Landing in Romania, it was easy to discover where the Winter Soldier was hiding. The people of Romania were running for cover, struggling to get away from the army that the soldier had created.

Rhodey was the first to face the army head on. He flew into the air, taking them out from above. He used his replusor beams to distract them, and to give Hawkeye time to get the civilians to safety and out of harm's way. Staying up high, there was no way the soldiers could reach him. However, when they noticed where he was, they began using weapons. One thing that they had been trained to learn was that, guns could do everything that they couldn't. They began shooting, the Winter soldier taking the lead and showing his army what should be done.

The rest of the army ran through the city, taking out dozens as they went, hitting them so hard that they were dead before they hit the ground. Before long, it was a bloodbath, bodies filled the streets. Wanda had to look away to stop herself from bursting into tears. She couldn't understand how anyone could knowingly cause this – how could anyone choose to put the innocent in danger?

In her distracted disgust, a member of the army knocked her off her feet. He leaned over her and grasped her throat, taking her by surprise. She used her telekinesis to send some of the other soldiers flying. Throwing them into the ground or against walls and buildings seemed to momentarily incapacitate them, but she couldn't loosen the grasp that he had on her neck. As he squeezed, he was wrenched away from her. Deadpool punched him in the face, so hard that he broke his own hand. Kicking him, he knocked the soldier off his feet and disorientated him. Once down, Hawkeye jumped through the air and plunged an arrow into the Soldier's chest.

"I can take care of myself," Wanda said to Deadpool.

"I know, I saw you in the movie," he said. "I wanted to help. Isn't that why you called me here?" Before she could respond, he ran off to take on another Soldier.

"What movie?!" Wanda shouted, running after him.

***

Rhodey flew through the air, avoiding the bullets that the Winter soldier was shooting at him. It was like the guy had a personal vendetta against the Avengers. Against any superheroes. Rhodey flew against a building, but the Winter soldier had him trapped. He aimed the gun at the head of his metal suit and pulled the trigger. As the soldier felt something crawl into his ear, he missed and instead shot a window of the building that Rhodey was standing in front of. The much-needed distraction allowed him to escape. The Winter soldier tried to shake the bug out of his ear. However, unbeknownst to him, hiding in his ear was Wasp, aka Hank Pym's daughter, Hope. She had borrowed the suit that had once belonged to her mother. All her life, she had tried to live up to her mother's name, to make her father proud of her. So when she overheard Rogue telling the Avengers about a new threat, saying that they needed everyone who could help, she knew that this was her time. When she returned from Romania, she'd tell everyone what she'd done and they'd let her be a part of the team. More than that, she'd prove to her father that Scott Lang wasn't his only masterpiece.

***

Hawkeye was already regretting coming to Romania. Yeah, retirement got boring after a while, but he'd take boring over possible death any day. Luckily, with these soldiers, his skillset proved particularly useful. The human weapons had no knowledge of the guy who could take them out from afar with nothing but a bow and arrow, and Hawkeye used this to his advantage. While staying out of the action, he could single-handedly take out the soldiers before they even knew what was happening. And with Wanda using her telekinesis and Deadpool leading the fighting on the ground, it wasn't long before most of the soldiers were dead or injured enough that they could no longer fight. The only one that they still had to worry about was the Winter soldier, the one that had been compelled by Kilgrave to fight to the death, to not stop until he completed the mission. It would take them killing him for this to stop, for the others to finally give up. 

They gathered around him, all ready to do whatever was necessary to take him out. As he ran at them, Wanda stopped him, holding him still and engulfing him in her red mist while he fought against it. Hawkeye aimed arrow after arrow at him, never missing a shot. He was wounded, but that didn't stop him from fighting. Rhodey shot repulsor beams at him as the Wasp, still in her shrunken form, got closer, hitting him again and again. Her strength took her by surprise, and as he couldn't see her, the Soldier fought against the air, trying to find out where this threat was coming from. He fell to the ground, writhing, where Deadpool punched him in the face as hard as he could. He stopped moving and his eyes closed. He was dead.

"We did it!" Wanda said excitedly.

"Wow," Rhodey said. "I thought it would be a lot harder than that."

The Wasp grew to her usual size. She and Rhodey took off the faces of their suits.

"Hi. I'm Hope," she said nervously.

"Nice to meet you," Hawkeye said, breathing heavily.

"So that's it? That's what you needed me for?" Deadpool asked.

"You didn't have to come," Wanda reminded him.

"I wanted to be in the story," he said. "If I wasn't here, I probably wouldn't get mentioned again. Plus, everyone reading wants to know if we're gonna hook up."

"Everyone reading?" Wanda questioned. "Why do I never know what you're talking about?"

As she said this, the wounded soldier looked around at the soldiers, smiling at each other and celebrating their supposed victory. He had failed Kilgrave, he hadn't completed the mission. But as he felt around, he noticed the gun taking up residence in his back pocket. Shifting slightly, he got the gun out without any of them noticing. Glancing around wildly, he pulled the trigger.

Wanda screamed.

Hawkeye launched an arrow through the Soldiers eye, killing him instantly.

The Wasp dropped to the ground, cradling an injured Rhodey. There was so much blood that she couldn't tell where he was bleeding from, all she knew was that she was covered in it. He gasped for breath, hands grasping his neck where the bullet had pierced him. Wanda turned away, shaking violently.

"What do we do?" the Wasp asked, trying to keep the worry out of her voice. Rhodey's gasps for breath got fewer and further between.

"There's nothing we can do," said Hawkeye. Rhodey's body stopped moving and his breathing ceased. He was dead.

****************************************

Thank you for reading!

So, the first death has occurred! What did you think? Who do you think will die next?

Leave me a vote and comment if you liked this chapter xx