0| TIME FRACTURE

Emmy's life was about to change, but she didn't know if it was going to be for the better or for the worst. She never imagined that, after her six years of being trapped in a cell so small, she would have been able to breathe in the fresh air—real air. She never imagined being able to feel the warmth of the sun caressing her skin or hear the birds sing again. There was a lot that Emmy had long forgotten about as she was forced to spend the remainder of her life in a cell block, forced to listen to her own blood flowing through her body and the sputtering of the broken vent above her head. She had given up on what could have been and instead settled on what there was.

That was until she managed to break out and sneak onto one of the trains departing from the Golad prison blocks and towards Hope Plaza; a place that would soon lead her to a new life, a better life that she could have only dreamt of years ago. There was no denying the fear that coursed through her veins, pumping adrenaline throughout her tired and broken body as she slowly stalked towards what would be the beginning of a new and more hopeful life. The memories of the past six years flashed almost instantaneously behind her eyes as each step seemed to feel heavier and more slower than the last.

It was only the thought of seeing Tanya again that made her push through the awful visions and images of a life she was now leaving behind. She had held on for so long to finally see her sister again, and now, as she stood in front of a mass of people invited to the latest pilgrimage, she finally felt as though fate and her own destiny had finally aligned. For once in her life, Emmy had the opportunity to start again, to have a second chance with her sister in Terra Nova. A land set in the past, but giving a future to humankind. Soon, Emmy thought, soon she would see her sister. Soon she would be in the arms of the woman she fought for hard for every single day.

Soon she'd be home.

Nerves began to set in and her hands shook in anticipation. She knew she was spotted long before she stepped off from the train. It was only a matter of time before the guards caught up to her and sent her back into Golad under strict and high intensive watch. She couldn't go back there. She couldn't face the same walls over and over again as she rotted away into nothing. She couldn't just sit and listen to the coughing and choking of the other prisoners as they were forced to watch each other from the transparent wall in each of their cells. She couldn't eat the same slop again and again, day-in and day-out. She wouldn't go back there.

The only place Emmy could go now was to Tanya. That was the only destination she would accept. If any other destination was chosen, she'd fight to get back to her sister. She would fight with everything she had left. To her, she had nothing, but she had everything to lose. She breathed out, trying to steady her racing heartbeat when a hand slipped into hers, she turned her head and smiled at Michael. If anything she was glad that he was sticking by her side, joining her in Terra Nova, it made the experience a lot less nerve-racking than what her mind was beginning to make it out to be. He gave her hand a squeeze and offered her a smile.

"We're so close," he spoke with a light voice.

"Yet so far away. I don't know if this was a good idea."

"Emmy, we've been planning this for a very long time, you can do this. A little fear is expected. But I won't allow for you to go back there. Golad is not an option," he whispered the last part to her, making sure that no one around them heard and caught them out by the guards. "Tanya has been waiting for you, remember that."

"I know, that's why I'm trying to be strong." She nodded. "But I've heard of this happening once before, during the third pilgrimage. A man was meant to join his wife and unborn child, but one of the guards had recognised him—that could end up being me Michael, they know me almost off-by-heart by now with the amount of trouble I've caused them. I can't be the man who doesn't get to follow his wife and child." She shook her head, squeezing his hand for comfort.