Fear of the Thunderbird (muggle!reader)

Y/N/N: Your nickname

You were the animal-loving long-term girlfriend of Newt Scamander, who was also a muggle.  You loved animals, and loved Newt's creatures and beasts just the same.  But there was one beast you just couldn't get yourself to go near.

The Thunderbird; Frank.

He was huge with a sharp beak and long talons and had the ability to summon deadly thunderstorms.  What was there not to be afraid of?  You had heard stories of people that had been killed by thunderbirds before.  But Newt and Frank held a strong bond.  Newt had tried to get you close to Frank before and touch him, but you utterly refused and tore yourself out of Newt's grip before climbing out of the case.  Newt was still determined to someway, somehow, get you close to his thunderbird.

Newt was sitting next to you on your shared bed trying to persuade you.

"But love–"

"No buts!  I won't do it, as I've said for the millionth time, okay?"

"Y/N/N I solemnly swear (heh see what I did there) that I won't let him hurt you.  Frank will listen to me.  I wouldn't ever let anything hurt you.  So, will you do it?"  Newt asked, pleading like a child and clasping your right hand in both of his.  Those puppy dog eyes.

You sighed.  "Newt.., I don't know..."

"Please, darling.  I'll be by your side the whole time," Newt begged.

You groaned in defeat.  "Fine..."

Newt shot up, pure cinnamon roll happiness on his face.  "Oh thank you thank you thank you!" he exclaimed before kissing both your cheeks, your lips, and wrapping you in a tight hug.

You smiled to yourself., nuzzling your nose into the crook of his freckled neck.  Well, you had no choice now.  You were finally going to meet Frank.  Newt was determined.  Oh, also, he was going to make sure you were safe no matter what and he was going to get you out of there as soon as possible if Frank started acting strangely.

Newt led you down into the case clutching your hand tightly to provide a sense of comfort for you.  He walked with you over to Frank's platform and let go of your hand to cup his hands around his mouth.  Newt let out two thunderbird calls.  Rather quickly thunder and lightning began to form, rumbling across the sky.  You latched onto Newt's arm and he wrapped an arm around your waist and kissed your head.

"You'll be alright, love," Newt said softly as the sound of flapping wings came near.

Frank flapped his large and golden wings until he landed on the platform.  He let out a lard squawk making you flinch.

"Okay, Y/N, stay behind me and watch, okay?" Newt instructed.

You nodded, still eyeing the beast nervously.

Newt stepped up to Frank and held up a hand as to show Frank he was going to touch him.  Frank didn't object.  Newt stroked Frank's feathers carefully, and the thunderbird nuzzled up to his hand and emitted a little chirp.

You stood back watching Frank's behavior towards Newt.  Maybe he wasn't as scary as you'd thought.  Newt turned around, smiled, and gestured for you to come over.  You slowly and cautiously made your way towards the two.  Frank cocked his head slightly when you approached him.

Newt began to speak to Frank.  "Now Frank... this is Y/N.  The love of my life.  She just wants to meet you, okay?  She doesn't mean any harm, okay?"  (Isn't he just the sweetest little thing???)  "Alright, Y/N.  You can pet him."

You slowly brought up a hand, a bit concerned that Frank was watching you every move. But Newt had an arm protectively wrapped around your waist as to tell you there was nothing to worry about.  You lightly brushed Frank's feathers, and when he didn't react harshly like you'd originally thought, you did it again.  Frank nuzzled his head up against your arm causing you to giggle.

"See, Y/N?  He likes you!" Newt exclaimed.

After about five minutes of you bonding with Frank and Newt looking crazily happy, it came time for you and Newt to go eat dinner.  You said your goodbyes to Frank as he launched up into the air and flew off to wherever he hangs out in the case.

Newt pecked your cheek as you made your way out of the case.  "I'm very proud of you, darling."

You smirked.  "I think I'm gonna start spending more time with Frank than you."

"Nooo but I wuvvv youuu," Newt whined.

You giggled.  "Aw I'm  just kidding, baby.  No thunderbird could ever replace you."

"Good," Newt said and leaned in to connect your lips to his in a loving kiss.