Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Sam

I walked back to the dining room with the most convincing smile I could plaster on my face at the moment, but on the inside, I was shaking with hurt, anger, and confusion.

"Were you able to find Stella?" Aurora asked with questioning eyes.

I looked at her and smiled at her before nodding quietly. I sat down next to Xander and ate the rest of my food.

I felt Xander nudge my thigh with his knee. I looked at up to see him looking at me with worry written all over his face. I shook my head at him and gave him a soft smile, even though I was dying inside.

A few moments later, Stella returned with a smile on her face. She clapped her hands excitedly and sat back down in her seat.

"Sorry I took so long everyone," she said before directing her gaze to me. She didn't say anything but with the way she was looking at me, I have a feeling that she knows something that I shouldn't.

"So Samantha," Arthur said, spitting my name as if it's something that tasted bad in his mouth.

"Why are you with my son? Do you want the Luna title? Money? Power?" Arthur said in a mocking voice.

I felt a stab of pain in my chest as soon as he said those words. I'm not with Xander because of the Luna title, money, or power. I just want to be with my mate. Someone to love me, protect me, and comfort me whenever I need comforting. Is that really too much to ask? Even after all those years that I spent alone in my old pack?

I frowned as these thoughts consumed me. Is the world really that cruel that it can't even give me a mate whose family won't judge me based on my past?

"Father," Xander growled out.

"Yes, son?" Arthur asked, raising a brow at his son who looked more than ready to explode.

"What in the world is your problem with my mate?" Xander asked, glaring at his father with murderous eyes.

"What's wrong with her? Do you really want to ask that in front of your weak, little mate?" Arthur said, glancing at me in disgust before returning his focus on Xander.

"Fine, let me answer that question for you, son. It's the fact that she's a weak she-wolf who doesn't know anything but to cry and ask for your protection every time rogues appear out of nowhere to take her. Why doesn't she actually fight back to prove her worth? Well, guess what, she can't because she's the weakest wolf ever alive. Weaker than an omega!" Arthur exclaimed.

The whole table was silent. Xander was growling at his father in his seat, holding me close to his chest and covering my face from everyone's view as if to protect me from them. Aurora was looking at Arthur with shock and a look of disgust on her face.

She stood up and glared at her husband.

"Arthur, in the bedroom. Now!" She ordered, pointing upstairs with her hand on her hip.

Her husband looked at her with a half-amused and half annoyed look on his face. He looked like he was going to protest, but stopped himself from doing so and went to his and wife's bedroom without a word.

She turned to me and gave me an apologetic and embarrassed look.

"Sam . . . I don't know what got into Arthur tonight, but I will talk to him. Go calm your mate before he rips his father's throat out," she said before making her way upstairs. But she stopped in the middle of the stairs and turned to look at me with a soft smile on her face.