twenty-eight

"My heart is filled with noise,
I hum with excitement
All day, I only thought about you
I won't be able to sleep at fantasies of you"

————————

I snapped out of my thoughts as soon as I heard the bell rang, signifying that the classes were already over. I sighed heavily as I was about to put all of my things on top of the desk inside my bag when suddenly, a pair of hands started doing it. I looked up to see who it was, and it was no other than Kim Taehyung. He picked my notebooks and my pens from my desk, and gently put it inside my bag neatly. He put on my bag in front of him as he smiled at me, telling me that we should start going.

Walking ahead of me was Taehyung who has his backpack behind his back and my bag in front of him. He was softly whistling to a tune I never heard of as he was walking. Byunghun was walking along next to him.

I was not into myself today after the argument I had with Sooyoung this morning. I haven't been talking to Taehyung or Byunghun or anyone during the class as well because I was too occupied by own thoughts. Questions started flooding my head: What if I really lose my friends? What if Sooyoung and I never make up? What will happen to our friendship?

I fiddled with my thumb as I thought of those questions. I don't think I'm capable of losing my friends. I sighed again for the nth time this day when I notice that those two were way too ahead of me, I jogged towards them to catch up.

As soon as I reached them at the end of the hallway, I saw Sooyoung, Yeri and Sungjae. The four of us met our eyes, and I quickly looked away from them.

"Oh? Areum! Areum!" I heard Sungjae called repeatedly as soon as I looked away from them. I turned around, my back facing them as I composed myself before I proceeded walking. "Huh? Why is Areum ignoring me? Is she mad?" I heard Sungjae's naive voice echoed in my ears as I tried to walk faster.

"Let's just go home, guys." I heard Sooyoung's calm voice compared to how aggressive her voice was earlier. I guess, she didn't tell Sungjae about the argument.

On the ride over, it was terribly quiet. Only the sound of our breaths could be heard inside the car. With Taehyung driving, me just staring through the window and Byunghun at the backseat doing nothing, it was painfully awkward and quiet.

"Ah, Taehyung. You can just drop me by the near bus stop." Byunghun said, breaking the ice.

"You sure? We can give you a ride home."

"No, it's okay. It's still too far, and I don't want to bother you. . ." He said, "I think I should give you two some time to talk about what's happening."

After a split second, the car stopped and heard the backseat door opened. Byunghun got down and tapped the glass window at my side. I looked up to him, and rolled the window down. He flashed me a small smile before he talked, "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you, girl. Alright?"

"Alright. Thanks, Byunghun."

Byunghun then walked away from the car, and went to the bus stop before the car turned. The silence filled the atmosphere again as Taehyung continued driving. He wasn't even saying a word or even glancing at me, and just focused in driving. I looked through the glass window, thinking of ways on how to retain my friendship with Sooyoung.

More than thirty minutes later, the car stopped again. I looked at Taehyung who immediately unbuckled his seatbelt then climbed off the car. My eyes followed Taehyung as he walked across the car and opened the door for me. "Come on," He crouched down, waiting for me to get down.