Chapter 4: Part 1

Chapter 4

I opened my eyes, blinking away sleep. I groaned from how stiff my muscles were when I tried to sit up. Glancing down, I saw that my midsection was wrapped in white bandages. It took me a moment to remember why. Images of Erika and her golden knife and blood flashed through my mind.

"Hey kid," a voice from beside me said. I nearly jumped out of my skin in surprise. Gabriel was leaning against the wall, smirking down at me. "Don't have a heart attack or anything. I've spent too much time nursing you back to health for you to die on me now."

I scowled at him while I propped myself up on one elbow. "How long have I been out?" I asked. Hopefully it hadn't been too long.

"About two weeks."

I gasped. I inhaled so quickly that I choked on my own saliva. Real smooth Maxon, I thought to myself. Two weeks? How could I have been out for two weeks?

I'd been away from America for two weeks.

My body started to tremble. I just wanted to be with her. I just wanted to see her. I just wanted to hold her. I just wanted to say 'I love you' one more time.

Tears pricked at my eyes and I closed them, attempting not to cry in front of Gabriel. My father's voice came into my mind, saying words I'd heard so many times: Be stronger, Maxon. Stop being so weak, Maxon. Don't be such a pathetic little child, Maxon.

But how was I supposed to be strong when it felt like my heart was being torn into thousands of tiny pieces?

"You miss her don't you?" Gabriel asked softly.

"Yeah," I managed to say. "Have you heard anything? Do you know how she's doing?"

"I've seen her do a few Reports. She's putting on a brave face, just like a princess should."

I smiled grimly. "That's my girl."

We sat in silence for a bit before I asked the question that'd been burning in my thoughts.

"So Erika is your sister?" Gabriel chuckled darkly.

"Half sister. My mom had me, married her dad, and then Erika was born."

"What happened to your father?" I asked, hoping that I wasn't prying.

"He... passed away."

"Oh. I'm sorry." I looked at my hands, avoiding Gabriel's gaze. He might be upset from me asking and I didn't want to see if he was angry.

Surprisingly, a moment later, he started laughing. "Lighten up, kid. I don't care that he died. The man left my mom when I was three. I only found out because one of our old friends sent a letter. He was never much of a father figure. I can say the same thing about my stepdad too, I suppose."

I didn't think he would bring up the rebel leader again. One of Father's many lessons came to mind.

Information is power. Always learn everything you can.

If I could get Gabriel talking about the rebel leader, it might be useful knowledge to report to Father when I return to the palace. New information could possibly give us the upper hand against the rebels. Illéa could finally be free from the rebels' chaos; we could finally be able to have some peace.

I felt a stab of guilt for the way I was about to play Gabriel. He would be angry if he found out I was using him for information and would probably never speak to me again. I tried to convince myself it was for the good of my country, but my conscience was completely against the idea of betraying my only friend.

I pushed the guilt away and asked, "What is he like, your stepfather?"

He sighed, "He is possibly the worst person I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. He is a power hungry egomaniac who couldn't care less about others."

A blossom of hope flowered inside of me. If Gabriel didn't like his stepfather, he might not be as upset if he finds out I used his information to bring down the rebels. I might actually be able to do this without severing our friendship.

"Arthur Woodhams likes to push people around if it means getting what he wants," he continued. Arthur Woodhams. I had a name. Great. Now I needed more to go on. Where was he from? Where was he now? What were his plans, his motives? Of course, I couldn't ask him directly. It could make Gabriel suspicious. If I wanted to learn anything else, he'd have to tell me without realizing I wanted answers.

"He's the reason I'm here. I lied on that first day. I didn't join because I wanted to make a difference. I joined because I was forced. Arthur saw potential in me as a soldier and started training me. At first, I was grateful. He'd told me he was only training me so I could defend myself. That was, in fact, a lie. He was training me to be a war machine."

I could relate to that. Ever since I was a little boy, I'd been trained and molded into being a prince. God knows how I would've turned out had I not had lessons and preparation my whole life.

"When I was nineteen, Arthur made me join," Gabriel went on. "I didn't want to, but he threatened to leave my mother. She couldn't hold a job, so we depended on Arthur's funds. If he left, we wouldn't have enough money to last a week. So I joined and I've been here ever since."

"Sounds like a hard childhood," I sympathized. Gabriel cracked a grin.

"Ever heard the phrase 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?'"

I laughed and was about to reply when the door swung open. An unfamiliar voice called into my cell.

"Hey Gabe! Stop playing nurse for a bit and make your rounds? I'm sure the prince can go without your company for a while."

"I don't know," I replied before Gabriel could speak. "I find him quite delightful. I'm not sure I could bear not having him by my side."

Gabriel smirked as his friend came into the cell. The rebel looked at me, his expression a mix of surprise and laughter. He pointed a long finger at me. "For a snobby little prince, you sure are a riot."

"Thank you. I take great pride in that fact."

The man snickered and pulled Gabe from the cell.