1.10 - The Gala [ II ]

Ian's POV

"Good luck" she smiled that charming smile of hers easing away my nervousness a little. I sighed and descended the stairs all the while looking behind and saw her waving with the same smile on her face. How can someone's smile comfort you?

I shook away such thoughts and finally stepped on the tiled floor and last time looked towards her room. Instead of her smiling face, I was greeted by a wooden brown door. I sighed in disappointment. All my forgotten nervousness came back rushing to me. I gulped and thought of the first day I saw Ashley.

The small girl with black hair tied up in cute pigtails, pink blush on her chubby cheeks wore a floral dress. Just as cute as her. She was licking strawberry ice-cream unaware of the pick cream that rested on her button nose. When she noticed a cute frown etched on her forehead. Her eyes ran between her nose and the ice-cream in her hand that was soon melting slowly. After contemplating for a while she shrugged and went back to licking her ice-cream. I chuckled at that.

From that moment I was attracted to her. That sweet innocent little Ashley. I was unaware when that small attraction turned into love. I always tried to talk to her but every time something or another came in between us.

Today finally because of Alison I got that chance. I was so lost in my thought that when a hand landed on my shoulder I jumped a little. Marie looked at me with amusement dancing in her eyes. I never get surprised so easily and she found this really funny.

"You're a bit jumpy and Oh my you look so handsome" she gushed and dusted some invisible dust on my white blazer. I just smiled at her.

"Where you off to?" She asked with her warm motherly smile. "The gala. Alison told you right?"

"Oh yes she did," she said with realization. "Where is she? Isn't she coming?" She asked with a frown. I hesitated before answering a 'no'. I know she loves Alison like her own daughter and she always thinks that Alison will make me forget Ashley but how can I make her understand that first love cannot be forgotten.

As expected she frowned in confusion and looked at the closed doors of her room. I could literally see the wheels turning inside her head. Her frown disappeared as realization finally sunk in. How can see read our minds, that's the question I've been asking myself for a while now.

"You're going with her, aren't you?" She asked but I know that was a question which didn't expect an answer.

"How did you?" I finally asked.

"The shine in your eyes and Alison being in her room, I know you and her. So it's not that hard to guess" she said.

"I want to tell you something Ian" she spoke a few seconds later. "Yes?" She opened her mouth to say something but words refused to leave her mouth. She sighed a heavy breath. "You'll know that one day" she patted my shoulder and walked away slowly towards her kitchen.

What will I understand one day? I asked myself mentally. I groaned as I noticed the time. I can't spoil my first impression so I hurried down the stairs of our porch and slide inside the car waiting for me. I motioned Phillipe to drive and soon we were off towards Ashley's home.

When Ashley and Alison started going to the uni they bought a small apartment and started living together, separately from Mr. and Mrs. Brown.

The car stopped indicating that we reached. Once again I took a deep breath and repeated Alison's words in my head. "I know you can do it" and I'll prove her right. I opened the car door and got outside. I breath hitched as I saw her standing at the entrance dress in a beautiful red dress that's tight till the knee and then it spreads like a balloon. (Mermaid dress)