Part 35: Doctor Doctor

There was the constant and distant sound of a phone ringing, the smell of cheap bleach and carpet cleaner, and people coughing every now and then, so if it weren't for the warning posters for STIs and flu injections you'd know you were in a doctors lounge.

We were seated along a wall, Mason's hoody pulled over his head and his hands shoved in the front pockets with his head leaning against the wall and his eyes shut against the bright light.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, touching his arm gently only to be rewarded with a grunt.

The whole ride here Mason had been arguing that he didn't want to go. I told him I would cover the cost but that just made him even angrier.

I huffed and sat back in my chair, side-eyeing him for a few minutes before retorting.

"I'm only trying to help okay. So stop being such a sourpuss." I poured and pulled my jacket around me and crossing my arms.

Stupid boyfriends and their stupid need to say they're fine when they're obviously not.

I felt his hand rest on my thigh and when he didn't pull away, I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face. It was as if the rest of my body was stone cold and his hand was on fire, his touch sent tingles all through my body.

"You're lucky I love you," I mumbled and he chuckled, squeezing my thigh a little making me jump.

"Mason and Ashley Murphy." I felt my eyes widen as the doctor called out our names and instantly looked to Mason who now had his eyes open and his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Umm, come on then," I said, pulling Mason to stand and dragging him to follow the doctor down the hall.

"I'm doctor Ross, a pleasure to meet you, Mr and Mrs Murphy." He was quite young, almost too young to be a doctor. He was tall and relatively pale, and his hair was a mess of blonde that made his blue eyes shine.

I couldn't help but notice his eyes trail down my legs and if I saw it I don't doubt that Mason did as well.

"Oh, we're not married." I stuttered as Mason and I sat in the chairs next to his desk. I felt Masons warning glare at the side of my head which clarified my suspicions that he'd seen doctor Ross's study of me.

"Oh, my apologies." He nodded, shooting me a warm smile.

"Well, not yet anyway." Croaked Mason, giving an awkward chuckle at the end.

"Right.." the doctor held back a smile laced with humour and I hit Mason in the leg.

"So how long have you been going out for?" Doc directed at me as he gestured for Mason to take off his hoodie.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the situation but just brushed it off as sociable, I mean come on, how many times do you have to get your nails done to be interrogated in the same area am I right? Mason grunted as he pulled his hood over his head and shot me a look.

"Well, it's a long story." I laughed and grabbed Mason's hand, giving it a squeeze and him a smile of 'shut up, or I'll kill you.'

Doctor Ross lifted Masons shirt and began to press the stethoscope to Mason's chest. Mason jumped at how cold it was.

"A few deep breaths for me buddy." Ooft. Condescending. Masons lips were pressed into a thin line as he took three deep breaths in and exhaled causing his perfect abs to tighten. I held my breath too, I hoped Mason wouldn't do anything to get us kicked out, insulting a doctor was the last thing I needed.