Chapter Sixteen

ANAIS

"How dare you? Ang kapal ng mukha mong sabihin sa akin na gusto mo ng custody. After what your son did to my daughter." Dad slammed his fist on the table. We were inside Dad's lawyer's office where they were having a legal meeting with the Cordovas. Across from us sat Tita Cassie, Tito Phoenix, Coco, and their own lawyer.

Dad didn't really want me to go pero nagpumilit ako. Ang anak namin ang pag-uusapan dito. I wanted to get involved in every way.

"I'd just like to make something clear, Lavigne. We do not want custody over the child. We demand it. May karapatan ang anak ko sa batang dinadala ni Anais." Tita Phoenix's voice was calm yet determined.

"I only have one word for you. No." Dad said before turning his attention to Atty. Rodriguez, his legal counsel and our family lawyer.

Atty. Rodriguez cleared his throat. "By law and jurisprudence, the mother of a the child born out of wedlock has sole parental authority and is entitled to keep the child in her company. This is explicitly provided by the Family Code of the Philippines which state Article 176: Illegitimate children shall use the surname and shall be under the parental authority of their mother, and shall be entitled to support in conformity with this code."

I lifted my gaze to Coco and saw how tensed he was as he listened to what the lawyer was saying.

"That is not fair. Anak din naman ni Coco yang bata. Hindi mabubuo yan ng siya lang ang mag-isa." Tito Phoenix frustratedly said and then turned to their lawyer as if asking for help. "Attorney."

"My client has the right to file for a paternal determination and custody orders." He flipped through the folder in front of him. "Supreme Court ruling in Silva Court of Appeals, 1997. The court clarified that the biological father has right over his illegitimate children in view of the constitutionally protected inherent and natural right of parents over children."

"Um, excuse me." I awkwardly raised my hand.

"Yes, honey?" Dad asked.

"As the mother, may karapatan din akong magdesisyon para sa baby ko, hindi ba?" I quietly said. "I want to give him the right over our baby."

"I may not know much about the law but I did some research beforehand. We can have joint custody. Gusto ko lang maging parte ng buhay ng anak namin. I'm just asking for my right to raise and love my own child."

"I don't want my baby to grow up without a father. The baby needs him. Binibigyan ko siya ng karapatan sa baby namin. We'll have joint custody."

"Silly girl, you're only sixteen. Ang mga magulang mo pa rin ang magdedesisyon para sa'yo." Atty. Rodriguez said.

"Dad," I looked at him. "Please, think about the baby. Kahit yung baby na lang. I don't want my baby to grow up na hindi niya kilala si Coco o hindi siya malapit sa dad niya. I know we made a mistake but I don't want my child to suffer from it."

"Tito Axel, kahit mabisita ko lang anag anak ko masaya ana ko. Kahit ano gagawin ko, kahit lumuhod ako sa harap mo, Tito. Lahat gagawin ko. Just let me be there for my child." There was desperation in his voice. 

"Dad..."

"This is not a child's play, Anais. Hindi laruan ang apo ko na ipapahiram sa inyo at pagpapasa-pasahan. Baka mahawaan pa ng ugali ng mag-ama yan." He said.

"Here you are again with your holier-than-thou atittude. Kala mo kung sino kang malinis." Tito Phoenix shook his head. "Mas dapat kang matakot kapag nagmana sa'yo ang bata. You don't want the child to grow up an asshole who'd fuck everything with a skirt on."