Chapter 4: Disaster At The Ball

Faye's POV

     Excitement courses through me at the thought of the ball that is taking place tonight, but I don't know what to wear. I scan my wardrobe with my hand resting on my chin thoughtfully. All I had were combat clothes since I usually travel around. Fancy clothes were just unnecessary. 

     "Don't think much about it, princess," a familiar voice says as two arms wrap around my waist. "What are we, newlyweds?" I ask with a frown, refusing to face him just in case he's getting ideas. "If you want us to be," he grins.

     "Axel, let go and let me think properly," I grumble, rolling my eyes and trying to pry his hands off me. He sighs before finally complying with my request. "There's no reason to think," he says as a matter of fact. He disappears around a corner only to return with the bag from a week ago.

     I look at him in confusion when he hands it to me for the second time, the first time being from last week when he wanted me to hold it for him. "Go ahead, try it out," he says with a smile before backing away.

     I peek inside the bag to spot a pretty and decorated box. Lifting the cover, I see the gorgeous dress I had liked from that one store last week—the one that Axel went into when we were taking a stroll in the area. My heart swells in fondness, "You didn't have to..."

     "Oh but I wanted to," he grins. I can't help but set the box on the bed and wrap my arms around him in gratitude. Who knew he was this thoughtful about others. Flirt or not, Axel is one of the good guys.

~~~

     "Hey," I shyly greet the gaping Axel as soft music starts playing in the large, fancy hall. "You look beautiful," he whispers in amazement and adjusts his tie out of nervousness. "And you look quite handsome," I compliment with am honest smile.

     Axel smirks at me, gaining a bit of his confidence back, "Then I assume that you won't refuse to have a dance with me?" he positively asks, lending me a hand. My smile stretches wider as I place my hand in his after doing a curtsy, "Why not?"

     "Heh. Love birds," Nico appears with a smile on her face. I playfully push her with my elbow before Axel leads me towards an empty spot in the midst of dancing couples. I faintly see Ward taking Nico's hand and smile inwardly.

     However, all thoughts of the sweet couple disappear when my partner and I start dancing. My head drops to look down at my feet, trying to keep up with the music. I'd be lying if I said I was good at ballroom dancing so it would do us both good to pay attention to what my feet are doing. I would rather die than embarrass myself at this moment. 

     I look up at Axel when I get the hang of it, to see a warm smile instead of his usual smirk. A small blush colours my face and I immediately look back down. Oh god, what is wrong with me?

     "Hey, don't you go all shy on me now. I want to see your face if we're going to be dancing," he says with a little pout. "You are in no position to make demands," I playfully stick my tongue out at him, no doubt looking weird while dancing, "but I'll make due just this one time. You'll have the honour of dancing with me while looking into my eyes." I'm half-joking, but that's exactly what he does. The blush returns, but true to my words, I don't look away. What could possibly ruin this moment right now?

     *BOOM*

     Oh right, an explosion.

      "EVERYONE EVACUATE THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY! I REPEAT, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!"

      "What's happening?"  I ask no one in particular and grip Axel's hand. "Do you think this has something to do with our mission?" Axel questions. I give it a thought before pulling Axel with me and going against the crowd. Ever tried to go against a river current? Yea, not fun.