Chapter One

"Why is it that you're here? What brings you?
        "I was forced."
        "Why?"
        "Because my parents think something is wrong with me."
        "And why do they think that?"
        "Because they have some notion that being gay is something that can be cured."
        "And you don't?"
        "No."
        "Why not?"
        "I believe love has no gender. I did not plan on falling in love with a girl, it just happened. If it had been a boy, I wouldn't be here because that's what society thinks love should look like. Two boys or two girls, is wrong, but it feels so right to me. I can't stop what I feel just because society deems it to be morally wrong. I won't conform to the man. I won't."
        "I see...Why don't you start from the beginning?"

--------------------------------------

Flash Back

-------------------------------------

        The first time we met, I literally ran into her. I had to pee so bad my side was starting to hurt. Not a good sign. Last time I had held it in, I got sick. Didn't want a repeat performance. Anyway, I wasn't watching where I was going and bam! I ran into someone coming out, just as I was going into the bathroom.
        "For the love of God." He didn't like me. God really didn't like me. Or He just thought it was funny to mess with me all the time. Pick one. Either would be the same. I was sprawled out on top of some girl. All I saw was a lot of locks of hair, no face, just hair. I didn't have time for this because my bladder was about to explode. "I'm sorry but I really have to pee. You'll have to excuse my manners." I didn't wait for a response. I didn't have time. I ran into one of the stalls. I was glad for the relief. A second more and I would have peed on the floor. Wouldn't have been a pretty sight I tell you and probably would have smelled. Gross.
        When I got out, the girl was gone. Damn. Well I hope she was still inside the place, if not in the bathroom. After all this was Starbucks. Who wouldn't want to buy something from here? Well maybe not me, at least not today. I didn't need to do another encore and run to the bathroom, putting a show on for everyone. Nope I preferred to stay in the shadows and hide.
        "Hello, Charlie." I internally groaned. Oh fuck me. No more than 10 feet away from me, sat Hope Blight with her group of friends. Hope and I were members of the same church. We practically grew up together. I didn't like her much. In fact I didn't like anyone from our church. It was just my luck that I would run into the same Starbucks as her.
        "Hope. Hi," I said with a fake smile on my face, when I was closer to her table. Ugh.
        "What are you doing here?"
        "Just had to p-use the restroom." I almost said pee. Yeah, didn't want her making a face at me, for being so crude. But it was the honest truth. I did have to pee and it was a natural thing for a person to have to pee. What was so wrong with saying the word 'pee'?
        As usual, Hope looked pristine. Not a single hair was out of place, on her perfect little head. Yup all her blonde hairs were perfect. And her clothes. Yup everything about Hope screamed perfect, perfect little church girl. As opposed to me, I looked like every mother's nightmare. I wore jeans instead of skirts. I wore shirts instead of blouses and tennis shoes instead of flats or heels. You wouldn't catch me dead dressed up, unless it had to with church. And if I caught you laughing at me because I was dressed up, beware. My looks were known to kill people.
        "Why don't you sit down?"
        "No, I'm fine. Thank you." Such elegant manners, where ever did you learn them? Haha. My manners were elegant as long as I wanted them to be.
        "Are you sure?"
        "Yes. I was just about to leave." My face was starting to hurt from all the smiling. Pretending was a lot more work than people thought it to be. If I didn't get out of here soon, I would forever have a smile plastered on my face. And that just didn't look right on me.
        "Oh. Where are my manners? Charlie Kingston, this is Lacey Trent. She's my new next door neighbor. Her family just moved here from Texas." I looked over to who she was gesturing at. Oh fuck me again. Yes, yes. I know. You're a Christian and you're cussing? Bite me. I don't give one iota about what you think. This is my head and I do whatever the fuck I please. So stuff it.
        The girl I was looking at appeared to be the same one I ran into on my way into the bathroom. Well the hair at least looked familiar. She was gorgeous. She had long curly light brown hair with the most piercing gray eyes. Her facial features were soft and angel like. And her skin looked delicate, creamy white and smooth. She could be a model with those looks. What the hell was I doing? I was checking out this chick and probably staring at her for too long a time now. Time to avert my eyes and say my apology like a good little church girl.
        "I'm sorry about earlier." I chewed on the inside of my lip. Why was I so nervous all of a sudden? I never lost my cool. So why was she making me nervous? I looked her in the eyes.
        "It's okay. I should have been watching where I was going." Her voice was that of an angel too. My heart accelerated on me. Oh fuck. Not again. I couldn't be having these thoughts again. They were wrong. Shit, I was in trouble.
        "You two know each other?" I forgot about Hope and her friends. For a moment, it had been just Lacey and me. Then Hope had to speak and ruin the moment. Thanks, Hope. I should really be thanking her and not sarcastically thanking her because she did help me get out of my trance of thoughts. Thoughts that weren't right, but they felt right. Does that make sense?
        "Um, no. I sort of ran into her when I went to the bathroom."
        "Oh. I see." Yup. No. You see nothing. You probably didn't notice how long I stared at Lacey. I knew Lacey knew because she had been staring at me just the same.
        "Um, I'm going to go. I'll see you tonight. Nice meeting you, Lacey." I held out my hand and Lacey took it. She gave me a firm shake. So maybe she wasn't as breakable as she looked.
        I got out of there before I could make a fool of myself. Yeah, didn't need to make a fool of myself. Last time I had felt these weird urges, I had been embarrassed beyond impossibility.
        I got into my car. It was a '70 Boss 429 Mustang. Oh yeah. I worked hard on my baby. Took a few summers, but I got it running and now it was the hottest item I owned, especially with the paint job. It was satin black with a blood red heartbeat line running into both sides of the car.
        The engine purred to life with my stereo blasting out music. It was Maroon 5's Adam Levine singing "My Heart's A Stereo". I waited for him to finish his part before putting my stereo in CD mode. As much as I loved hearing Adam Levine's voice, I wasn't a big fan of rap, any form of rap. Lacey Mosley's voice filtered through my speakers. This was much more my style.
        "Breaks your knees and leaves you so the sun can burn you up and wear you out. It's an angry summer." I sang along with Lacey. I loved her voice. It was unique. Well to me it was. I could tell you who was singing most of the time, even if I wasn't a fan of their music. And her voice was easy to pick out. Which in my opinion was unique, so there.
        I got home just as the song ended.
        "Hey, Sport. How is she running?" My dad was leaning against his car. As I pulled into the driveway, my dad had been under the hood tinkering around. Now he held a rag in his hands, wiping off some of the grease they held within the natural wrinkles of his skin.
"She's great," I said as I stepped out of my car. "Thanks again, Dad." I leaned against the hood of my car, facing my dad.
        "I can't take the credit. You did most of the work. I'm proud that you followed through with it." He had helped me throughout the summers it took me to put the car together. It was a project that brought us closer in our relationship as father and daughter. Being the only guy in the family, he found me to be a nice replacement as a son. I didn't mind. In fact I preferred to be treated like a son than some girly daughter. Yup. I was a major tomboy. I invented the word 'tomboy'. No, I didn't, but I should have. Like I said, I wore jeans and t-shirts over skirts and blouses.
"What's wrong with, Lucy?" I asked. Lucy is the name of his car. He told me he named it after an old flame.
"Nothing. I just finished doing an oil change and was checking the fluids."
"Wish you would have told me you were going to work on Lucy. You know how much I like being a grease monkey." I playfully pouted at him.
"Your mom's car needs one too. You want to change and help me?"
I felt my eyes light up at those words. "Just give me a few minutes."
I started to walk towards the sliding door of our house as it opened and out stepped someone.
        "Oh. Charlotte you're home. Good." Ugh. My mother. She hated that my father treated me like a son. And she refused to call me Charlie. She said if I had been a boy she would have named me Charlie. "Did you and Randy have a good day? Did you guys have fun?" Another thing with my mother... She thought my best friend Randy, Randall Newman, and I were going together. Just because we hung out a lot didn't mean he was my boyfriend. No. Gross. Eww. He was my best friend. That was it. That was all it was gonna be.
        "Uh, yeah."
        "That's good. Well you better come inside and get ready for church. We're leaving in an half an hour. You too, John. Come on."
        I sighed. So much for getting my hands dirty.