Chapter 1

follow me on twitter @miniturdx- new account as of august 2015!

-o-

"That will be 17.49 please."

I fumbled in my purse until my fingers clenched around my old, worn out leather wallet, pulling it out of my purse. I took out the exact amount of money, placing it on the counter and grabbing the plastic bag containing what I just purchased.

I thanked the cashier, and walked swiftly out the thrift store with the handle of the plastic bag clenched tightly in my fist, afraid of getting it stolen again. I had come to this store yesterday, and bought only the strict necessary: a pair of boots and a winter coat for my sister, who had outgrown it. But the money had been wasted; as I had walked out into the busy street, somebody had ran past me, grabbing the bag and running away with it.

I wrapped my arms around myself as the wind picked up, the snow drifting all around me, sending me in cold shivers. There was a massive storm expected to hit London, so I picked up my pace to get back to my family.

I stopped in my tracks when I passed in front of the mall. I guess I could go inside, just to look around. I mean, I won't buy anything, I've learned to control the desire to buy things that are too expensive, or unnecessary.

I was walking next to a store that most people my age shop. They really do have nice clothes, things I would wear if I could afford it. But ever since my father left me, my jobless mother, and my three year old twin brother and sister a few years ago, I had to stay clear of those stores, and replace them with cheap thrift stores.

My father, without warning, had ditched my mother, claiming he deserved a better life than the one she provided him, because she had a drinking problem; she'd get drunk whenever she could find the money to afford it. What made me mad was that he left me and the twins with her, not even considering getting us out of there also.

My mom, Cheryl, was already struggling to find a place willing to hire her, due to the lack of education she had, but after my father's departure, she had even more trouble. She gave off that negative vibe that depresses everyone around her, so clearly nobody would want of her. Honestly, I didn't even like her. She was never much of a mother to me.

It was me, Abigail Jenkins, 16 years old, who was left to provide food, shelter, and clothing for my family.

My siblings, Jordyn and Jonathan, were only babies when my father left us. I was fourteen, and they were a few months old. Now, they are three years old, and I am sixteen. I manage to get a few babysitting jobs around the city to make money, to buy food and pay the rent. We don't have TV, or a phone, it's too luxurious for us.

We never get new clothes either, we just take whatever the parents of the kids I babysit are willing to donate to us, out of pure pity, which I hate. I only accept it because I have no other choice. And if we need something and they don't have any to give us, I go to the cheapest thrift store I can find.

I slowly walked inside the shop, carefully looking at all the pretty clothes spread out around me. The store was packed; today there must be some sort of big sale going on. I wearily walked amongst the people and merchandise, clutching my bag close to me so I wouldn't lose it.

I grabbed a few shirts and a pair of jeans and headed slowly to one the the dressing rooms. I tried on the outfit and looked longingly at my reflection in the full-length mirror. I'm jealous of every single person who could ever afford something from this store.

Before I would become too upset, I changed back into my old clothes and placed back the clothes in the store where I took them. I know some people would shoplift if they were in my place, but I'd never even consider it- i I get caught and get sent to jail, who'd take care of Jordyn and Jonathan? Definetely not my mother.