Chapter Seventeen

ANAIS

Five months na si baby. I was half way through the pregnancy, four more months and this would be over. I'd been given all the love and support I needed from my family, Coco, and his family. Pregnancy wasn't a glowing walk in the park. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. It was ugly and messy.

The morning sickness, the awful cravings that turns me into a monster, the terrible mood swings... those were just the tip of the iceberg. My clothes doesn't fit me anymore so I had to buy a whole new set of clothes. I could barely do anything because I was always tired and nauseous. Some things I used to eat, I couldn't stand anymore. My body was going through all these changes and it wasn't taking it lightly.

"Yan na si baby." Our doctor said as she moved the transducer over to my stomach. It was a 4D scan so we could already see our baby's face as clear as the day. We watched in awe as the baby moved.

"Look the baby's yawning!" Coco excitedly said, his eyes fixed on the monitor. 

We all let out a small laugh as we watched the baby open its mouth as if it really was yawning. The baby even rubbed its hands on its face. I felt warm all over as I watched the baby.

"What's the baby doing in Ate's tummy?" Bryce eyes glowed in fascination.

"Oh man, here we go again." Dad massaged his temples and then turned her head to Mom. "We're going to need a chastity belt for our little girl."

"Axel, you are insane..." Mom said, half-laughing and half-scolding him. Mom turned her attention to Bryce. "The baby has to live inside the tummy until it's ready to come out."

"How did the baby get there?" Bryce asked.

"God, have mercy." Dad groaned in agony. 

"What, Daddy?" Bryce looked at him.

"I said it's God's gift to your ate Anais." He cleared his throat. 

"And you and your ate Anais were God's gift to me. You came from my tummy. You know when adults make love, they also make a baby." Mom explained.

"Then who made that baby?" She pointed at the monitor.

"Your ate and your kuya Coco. That's their baby." Mom answered.

"Val..." Dad grunted.

"So they made love?" 

Nagkatinginan kami ni Coco but that gaze seemed to have a static ground as we both looked away immediately. How could a little girl make things so awkward for us?

"We'll get you ice cream after this, just stop asking questions. How does that sound?" Dad said.

"Okay." Bryce beamed.

I wouldn't say Coco and Dad were in good terms now but he just kind of learned to tolerate his presence whenever Coco needed to be around. But I would bet my life and our baby's that if given a chance, he would still kill him. He never tried to hide his hate for him and he had no problem expressing it.

Ito ang napagkasunduan namin. He wanted to be there everytime I needed to see the doctor. I see the doctor every two weeks because they needed to closely monitor the baby and I.

"Do you want to know the se-"

"The gender?" Dad cut the doctor off. "My younger daughter's here."

"Yes, the gender..." The doctor awkwardly said.

"I'm sorry. He's just really more paranoid." Mom sighed and rolled her eyes at him. "We prefer not to know the gender for now."

"I want to know what my baby's gender is." I said.